Sign in to follow this  
Dnut999

Need help with my new stock 12Q D1

I just installed my new 12Q D1 into a 1.2 sealed enclosure in my truck yesterday. I disconnected the sub and used a DMM to set the gain on my Kenwood Excelon Kac-x1r amplifier (1200w @2ohms).. I turned the gain up until it read 44.7volts for 1000w rms.

My problem is that even at low volume there is some distortion coming from the subwoofer. I dont know how to describe the sound but its like if theres a coin being pushed around top of the woofer cone. I checked the subwoofer and there's no physical damage or anything. I checked my box for leaks and made sure all the wires connected and everything seems fine. What could be the problem?

Could the subwoofer had blown already or did I get a defective subwoofer? Is this something that could be fixed? I just got this woofer delivered to me last friday and Im very dissapointed to have problems already. Can someone help?

Edited by Dnut999

No you can't set your gains like that. DMM's do not take into account when the amplifier is clipping. If the speaker is distorting then it is picking it up from the amp or from your headunit...

Speakers are dumb, they do what you tell them to do, by either the volume knob, or the gain/settings on the amplifier itself.

Speakers are dumb, they do what you tell them to do, by either the volume knob, or the gain/settings on the amplifier itself.

Nick permission to use this line in my sig please.... this is the greatest line i've heard used to describe a sub...

It's so true that it's funny as hell

Don't agree with using a DMM man, they don't tell you when your clipping. You might be at 100% clip wide open to get that :magical: voltage reading that you are looking for at the alleged 2 ohms...

Generally speaking, if you go over half way on your gain on your amp you are going to run into issues. RCA voltage is supposed to be matched with your gain. So if you have a 4 volt output deck, you should definitely be at 1/2 gain if not less. Regardless what your DMM says :)

Nick permission to use this line in my sig please.... this is the greatest line i've heard used to describe a sub...

Sure, i've said it for years lol :). Because it's the truth...they are dumb. They don't destroy themselves, and they don't mess up themselves...it does what its told to do :).

Sure, i've said it for years lol :). Because it's the truth...they are dumb. They don't destroy themselves, and they don't mess up themselves...it does what its told to do :).

Or else it gets the hose

sorry, couldn't resist

Sign in to follow this