Sign in to follow this  
visitor

Computer people....please come

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=38451966

this worth it? i actually just bought one (shoulda asked first, i know, lol) came to 80.xx shipped... is it decent? if it matters, i only want it to store pics/vids/music on.. my laptops built in hd is only 120 gb (i have that in movies alone)

any input? did i mess up?

thanks!

Good price for the size.

When looking to buy an external drive, the two most key factors are the bridge (interface between hard drive and computer) and what type of drive is inside the case.

LaCie has been pretty solid until you overheat them. They don't have a very good heat dissipation system inside. But unless you like to keep your drives on in an un-air conditioned room, you should be fine.

Good price for the size.

When looking to buy an external drive, the two most key factors are the bridge (interface between hard drive and computer) and what type of drive is inside the case.

LaCie has been pretty solid until you overheat them. They don't have a very good heat dissipation system inside. But unless you like to keep your drives on in an un-air conditioned room, you should be fine.

nice. thank you. i really will only use it occasionaly, its usb connect.. i hear "firewire" is faster/better? (i dont even know what that is) is that something that is really going to limit me?

USB2.0 has a higher burst rate at 480mbps, while firewire is limited to 400mbps.

That makes it seem like USB is better... but in reality firewire has a faster constant rate than USB.

But not everyone has firewire, so USB is fine. And if you're not doing any video editing or audio recording to the drive, I doubt you'll notice a difference on your day to day uses.

The speed difference between Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 is not great enough to justify the lack of compatibility with a variety of different computers (most computers still don't support firewire), IMO.

me personally wouldnt buy a mechanical hard drive that either is refurbished or doesn't come with a warranty of less than 2yrs. Most of my drives die between 10-24months because i use the hell out of em so i can get em replaced for free.

Mechanical devices will fail and i've been through enough failed drives to not want to look at another pc again... so i have 9 drives right now. Some are still IDE so when they die it's all SATAII until SSD comes down in price.

^ precisely why I like to buy an enclosure of my liking and then insert a drive that best suits my needs.

I still need to get my Western Digital back. :(