Sign in to follow this  
pimpedout97x

need a 2.1 setup for my room

made a thread a while back on this, i never got around to taking pics after i hung the tv. i gotta get back up the attic and shim up the left side of the tv, becuase the trusses arent perfectly level in the attic.

either way, its really the only way i could have mounted it, and its a nice viewing position from my bed. had i used a normal wall mount and put it on the wall, it wouldnt be angled towards my bed any.

anyways, heres the pics. the tv speakers are removable, and will be removed, once i get a 2.1 setup to replace it with.

had to put it on SSA before the pic haha

this is laying in my bed

CIMG1419.jpg

CIMG1417.jpg

questions-

should i buy a simple 2.1 setup, or should i make a DIY setup from PE or somewhere?

i have an old Aiwa reciever and an old Sanyo that i loved, but it finally broke (from the 80s before i was born)

i can use the Aiwa for now, so i can buy the speakers/crossovers/etc first, then after that ill choose a nicer reciever, unless we find one for cheap.

i prefer to find a reciever with a sleep option (i dont even know if they have those) like my tv (put it on sleep so its not on all night)

next are placement of speakers. where should i mount them? under the tv?

ill stop here, and see what we come up with.

ps - budget..not really sure yet, but not TOO much...i dont need A+ top notch speakers, etc....i dont watch movies a lot, mostly just tv shows. so nothing top notch is necessary.

that is simply awesome! reminds me of the screen I had set up once. 37" LCD. Acex3a uses it now for his monitor.

Is it hard to read text from your bed? or is acceptable? very sweet set up either way, i'm sure you watch alot of tv and video games on it as well right?

i dont really...i just got an xbox 360 recently...never been real big on video games, and i only watch tv at night when i go to bed.

if u set the resolution right, you can see if decently from my bed.

...i think u should buy LOGITECH Z-2300 2.1 THX ...they r great (for d price) ......

...or...GENIUS SP HF 1250X ....(cheap ...but they sound great) ..

...and why is your TV so high ?? :drink40:

Speakers really, really depend on your budget.

like i said im not looking to spend like 100 PER speaker here...but not looking to spend 5$ per speaker either...not anything cheap, but i dont need top of the line...throw out some suggestions so i can see what a setup is going to run, then we can go from there :)

So theres a budget from 10-200$ for the whole deal?

How much room do you have for these?

that is simply awesome! reminds me of the screen I had set up once. 37" LCD. Acex3a uses it now for his monitor.

Is it hard to read text from your bed? or is acceptable? very sweet set up either way, i'm sure you watch alot of tv and video games on it as well right?

hah here a pic of marks old 37'' LCD

IMG_0288.jpg

ZaphAudio has some projects that are about the cheapest I'd recommend that have potential for decent sound...as for power, you can find '70s-vintage integrated amps for not a lot, and I'd put a lot more faith in something like that lasting, especially after a recapping, than the plastic mid-fi stuff made nowadays...something tells me you don't listen to a lot of broadcast radio, so a receiver isn't needed.

ZaphAudio has some projects that are about the cheapest I'd recommend that have potential for decent sound...as for power, you can find '70s-vintage integrated amps for not a lot, and I'd put a lot more faith in something like that lasting, especially after a recapping, than the plastic mid-fi stuff made nowadays...something tells me you don't listen to a lot of broadcast radio, so a receiver isn't needed.

Where do you find those kind of amps?

i dont. i usually just have my pc/laptop hooked through the input of my current reciever, or my ipod hooked to it, and listen to music that way.

really dont have room for any towers or anything, im thinking something more along the lines of something stealthy and mounted on the wall under the tv some how?

Craigslist, Audiogon and Ebay, mostly.
really dont have room for any towers or anything, im thinking something more along the lines of something stealthy and mounted on the wall under the tv some how?

ZaphAudio has a plan that uses Hi-Vi drivers (I think), in a wall-mountable cabinet. Won't be the be-all and end-all, but it'd sound a heck of a lot better than some "computer" speakers.

Craigslist, eBay, yard and garage sales, estate sales, pawn shops.......

Pay attention to condition of these old vintage receivers/integrated amplifiers. If the silkscreening is gone, or the case is dented/trashed, and there is a ton of dirt inside and out.....pass.....unless it's free.

Pay attention to brand names and what tier the product falls in. If say a vintage receiver looks cheap and only weighs a pound, it's more than likely junk.

Jim mentions recapping in his reply. Electrolytic capacitors only are rated for so many years of use. If the unit is powered up periodically from time to time over the years, the capacitors will stayed (somewhat) formed and dried up caps may not be much issue.

If the said unit has been sitting in a basement or garage for 15-20 years, then there could be a ruined cap or two in the unit.

Bottom line, the caps are only rated for maybe 5-10 years, depending on what type and rating of electrolytic capacitor.

Sometimes it's a issue, most the time the unit will work fine.

Even a vintage receiver/integrated amplifier that works just fine, can still exhibit the sound of old dried up capacitors. It'll have a stale dull kind of sound from my experiences.

I'm not trying to scare anyone from scrounging up a vintage SS unit, it just takes a little research and some care.

You'll never know what you'll come across......

Deoxit is nice to have for cleaning pots and switches with vintage SS stuff, they are bound to be dirty.

I picked up a mid-70's JVC A-S5 silver faced integrated amplifier from a guy for 5 bucks 4-5 years ago.

Cleaned the 30 years of dirt out of inside of it, and cleaned and lubed the pots and switches.

It worked fine from get go, but was a wee bit stale sounding.

I re-capped most of all the smaller 'lytics that I had on hand, back from when you could beg Elna for free samples.

There's a few Cerafines, and a couple Silmics in there.

It helped the stale sound. I've been beating on this little integrated ever since.......the protection circuit is tough as nails.

It's only 30 watts per side, but's it's plenty for 98db efficiency speakers.

Craigslist, Audiogon and Ebay, mostly.
ZaphAudio has a plan that uses Hi-Vi drivers (I think), in a wall-mountable cabinet. Won't be the be-all and end-all, but it'd sound a heck of a lot better than some "computer" speakers.

Radian coaxials in the ceiling or the walls.....