Sign in to follow this  
dem beats

No IB available.

I have a huge issue. I want to go with the L8 to get the best mid/midbass and maybe a tweet form HAT but I CANNOT go IB. I can make a pretty big kick, but with my current situation I have to decline on the IB in door.

Is this possible? If not, can it be done with a smaller HAT driver? If so how can I git-r-done?

I have the sub stage done but mids are what I really really want to shine.

Thanks all!

Run IB in your kicks. You just need to vent them someplace, usually into the fender or under the hood :)

If it's a unibody car (which 99% are today), you can run quasi-IB into the kick panel cavities, a-frame cavities, etc. Most cars today are nothing but seam-sealed pieces of metal and there's a TON of cavities in the floor, kick well, a-frame, etc. It's not necessary (usually) to go outside the car. That being said, the L8 is an air hog, so take a look around and see how much real estate there is. If all else fails, you can go the route that all but one world champion went last year, and that's the L6 midbass.

Scott

Run IB in your kicks. You just need to vent them someplace, usually into the fender or under the hood :)

I shall try, won't everyone hear my jams though?

I shall try, won't everyone hear my jams though?

It's a little louder, depending on the size of the hole. Most of the time though, it's muffled/diffused before the sound gets completely outside the vehicle. Unless, of course, you have a whopper hole that blows right out the side... LOL

I had a pair of 6 inch vented into the wheelwell of my Toyota Prerunner a few years ago. It was quite a bit louder outside because it was very open... half of the magnet actually was outside of the truck. I built a cover to deflect the sound to the ground and keep moisture off of it. It worked very well.

Probably hard to visualize, but if you have ever seen a clothes-dryer vent on the side of a house, you get the idea. It was larger than that, but open only on the bottom.

I think I will pipe it into some cavity maybe in the engine bay.. fender maybe. Something I can deaden the crap out of.

What is the smallest diameter pipe one would use to vent it. I would guess a 1" pipe would not allow for great air flow.

My opinion only, for what it's worth.

For the L8, I wouldn't go less than a three inch.

For the L6, you can get by with a two inch.

Again, that is only my opinion from my experience and the sound I like from them. Others may have ideas that work equally well.

Truth be told, I use the magnet as my guide (I know... scientific ain't it? :fryingpan: ). I use the diameter of the magnet as my minimum starting point. I'll have to figure something else out if neo magnets become mainstream...