Sign in to follow this  
mikecdm

Building ported box

Well I just recently bought a Q and since I was eager to listen to it, I put it inside the only box I had. The current box is a sealed box with about .9 ft^3 after displacement. Since its on the smaller side I threw some polyfill in the box as well.

Now I want to build a ported box and I honestly have no clue as to where begin. I read through several pages, and found some plans but they don't suit my needs. I also searched online for calculators and only came across the RE calculator. I don't know how accurate it is but it kind of gave me an idea how port length affects tuning frequency. I'm a little tight on space and have a maximum of 30"w x 16"h x 16"d. Matter of fact, I'm not even sure if i can get the box into the trunk with those dimensions. I know it will fit in the trunk, but getting it in might be a problem.

The smaller the better, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Here is what I came up with by just punching in numbers into the calculator. If this calculator is correct, I still think the box is a little on the big side and wouldn't mind making it a little smaller if it doesn't compromise the sound.

Advice and or suggestions are welcome.

portedQ.jpg

guess nobody has any advice or ideas. I'd try this but I'm not even sure that this calculator is accurate.

dont use that calculator, it doesnt account for some things.... like sub displacement for one...

Anyways, if you dont think it will fit in the trunk, measure the width and depth of the opening in the trunk and post it here.

If you want real quick dimensions, i'll find em for ya and tell ya how to cut and build the box. That way after it's built, then you can do your research so you won't have to ask every time u wanna build one.

Sign in to follow this