Sign in to follow this  
Derrick824

Rca Voltage Input

I worked all day yesterday getting my Maxx-Link working properly. I'm 99% positive it was an issue with the outputs on my old head unit. Now I'm trying to get everything fine tuned perfect and there are a lot of adjustments on this thing. My only concern is what to set the ouput of the Maxx-Link to? Its currently set to 5v but can I go higher? Will the 1500s take the full 9v output? I checked the owner's manual but didn't see it listed.

Also since I'm not using the br output to strap the amps, do I still need to gain match them? How does that work? I'm used to only setting one amp and now its like I have to set both amps and the Maxx-Link which is driving me crazy. I originally tried running the amps seperate but couldn't get them matched perfect so I strapped them again to make it easier.

Yes, you still have to set the gains on each amp at the same voltage. If you read the instructions that came with the maxxlink it will tell you how to do that using a dmm if you do not have instructions simply unhook the RCA going into the maxxlink coming from your source unit and set the maxxlimk to test tone make sure you unhook any subs going to the amp as well as the wires linking the amps at the- terms simply take a dmm set it to ac volts hook the red wire coming from the dmm to the + speaker output on the amp and the black lead on the dmm to the - term on the amp and adjust the gain on the first amp between 4 and 6 volts . Go to the second amp and repeat again adjusting it to the same voltage you set the first amp the turn the test tone off and re hook up all connections at maxxlink and amp, Finally set your filters on your amps so they are above and bellow the filters on the maxxlink . Now set the input voltage on the maxx link to match the signal source coming from the headunit or source unit and then adjust the output gain on the maxxlink to an acceptable voltage.

Edited by TRZ

Yep, as Kurt said just follow the instruction sheet - you do have to adjust each amp independently to match them but its very easy to do.

what to set the ouput of the Maxx-Link to? Its currently set to 5v but can I go higher? Will the 1500s take the full 9v output?

^What about that?^

6v is the max input - on page 4 specs in the manual, 0.2v - 6.0v input sensitivity :)

Thanks. I'm just half illiterate.

Forgot to mention this before ,Use good shielded set of rca going into the maxxlink and make sure the path stays a way from the amps. We ran into a problem were the rca's on the input side of the maxxlink were pretty close to the heat sink of the amp and the subs would go out of control. Took some time to figure it out because we thought it was the radio we were using to burp the car,in the podium.

So with them not strapped and running MaxxLink, you still need to set the gains individually?

Only when its strapped you do not?

You still need to match them strapped - the maxx-link can then be used to alter the gain of up to 5 pairs of amps at once after they are initially matched. That is the big draw of it.

Forgot to mention this before ,Use good shielded set of rca going into the maxxlink and make sure the path stays a way from the amps. We ran into a problem were the rca's on the input side of the maxxlink were pretty close to the heat sink of the amp and the subs would go out of control. Took some time to figure it out because we thought it was the radio we were using to burp the car,in the podium.

I had that same problem at first. After changing out to my new head unit it went away though.

So with them not strapped and running MaxxLink, you still need to set the gains individually?

Only when its strapped you do not?

You need to set the gains and match the amps seperately when using a Maxx-Link whether they're strapped or not. I really didn't realize what I was getting into with this thing tuning wise. It doesn't help that I might as well be dyslexic when it comes to reading and understanding manuals. Now that I've done it once it doesn't seem so difficult anymore. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sign in to follow this