Sign in to follow this  
RajunCajun

12" ICON vs FI SSD

At the moment I'm in the market for a new sub. I've narrowed it down to the ICON or a SSD. I read a really nice review on the ICON on DIYMA that fell into my power range. Now on to my question. With stated power which would be a better choice ICON or SSD+copper coil? Box is dependent upon driver selection.

I absolutely love my icons. I listen to a broad range of music and they handle everything with ease.....with only 500 to each driver. I've never heard a SSD so I can't comment.

Powering it with a eD Nine.5 I have laying around. Front stage will most likely be the MB Quart QSD 4" components I have in the closet ive never used. Maybe now would be a good time to look into an active 3 way front stage... just need another amp for mid bass. Decisions, decisions.

Both are a great choice, I am a little biased though. ;)

I picked up a pair of Mach5 MLIs, gonna give a 3 way a shot. Once I get a little bit more cash gonna try to get Fisher Customs to fix me up with a 12 Icon and box.

I love my 12" Icon. I just wish it were an 18 now so im probably going to sell it and go with an AQ HDC3.

I love my 12" Icon. I just wish it were an 18 now so im probably going to sell it and go with an AQ HDC3.

If you love your Icon, and want an 18, look at a Fi Q 18 or Mach5 IXL 18. Don't take a step back in clarity.

If you love your Icon, and want an 18, look at a Fi Q 18 or Mach5 IXL 18. Don't take a step back in clarity.

Yeah Ive been thinking about the Q also. It might be the route I go especially if I can find a used one for a good deal.

After a little consideration, a 12" Icon in the standard Fisher Customs box is a little bit bigger in terms of space that im willing to give up. Was thinking about a 10" in the FC combo box. What are your thoughts on it in terms of output and clarity with that box?

Forgot to mention I'm doing a total install and taking out all the factory Bose equipment.

I have two 10'' Icons sealed and they are very clear and accurate with a good amount of output. If you're trying to save space why not get a 12'' Icon and put it in a sealed box? What type of music do you listen to?

Mainly a mixture of rock, metal, punk, techno, maybe some rap here and there. I know since my main taste steer toward rock more than anything else sub bass isn't really as big an issue as the mid bass range. After I posted my last reply I realized that I have more room than I thought, because im removing the factory Bose 6x9 from the rear deck. With that done I'll be able to slide the box farther back into the trunk.

Mainly a mixture of rock, metal, punk, techno, maybe some rap here and there. I know since my main taste steer toward rock more than anything else sub bass isn't really as big an issue as the mid bass range. After I posted my last reply I realized that I have more room than I thought, because im removing the factory Bose 6x9 from the rear deck. With that done I'll be able to slide the box farther back into the trunk.

Im guessing you're in Louisiana? I might sell you my 12" and box if interested.

I would stick to sealed if I were you. (1) 12'' or a pair of 10's would have enough output for you I'd imagine.

@Matt

Yeah I'm a Louisiana boy. Thanks for the offer, but I'm a new and shiny person. I buy very little used goods. Its not that its used its just that I like to know that I'm the only owner of it.

@Kharps

I'll give sealed a shot, worst thing that happens is I order another box. If I run a pair of 10s they'll probably only pull maybe 300 wrms each. Whats the minimum to get these guys going

Edited by RajunCajun

@Kharps

I'll give sealed a shot, worst thing that happens is I order another box. If I run a pair of 10s they'll probably only pull maybe 300 wrms each. Whats the minimum to get these guys going

When I first got my Icon 15 I diden't have an amp for it so I powered it with an alpine amp that gave it 240w at 4ohms and it sounded way better then the MTX 5500 10" that it was powering :neil:

@Kharps

I only have 500 to each and they get MOVING. I don't see 300 to each being a problem, especially if your enclosure is towards the higher end of the spectrum (.7-.8 each).