audiophyle_247

Single 8" box build

Alright, so this will be going into my 93 del Sol.

The trunk floor is in the process of being fiber glassed, then I will packing peanut measure the volume and should be able to stick as close as I can to my goals.

Goal is 1cuft, tuned to 28hz with port area of 8"x2.5" with the end opening flared.

I used Google sketchup (just found it & it is awesome!) to mock up the box design & it has me all excited to finish this box.

My goal is maximum output with as much SQ retained as I can, save as much weight as I can, and save as much trunk space as I can.

Drawn exactly to scale.

Picture1.png

Port sectional.

Picture2-1.png

I have 2 Alpine PDX amps which will be stacked to the left of the box. The amps together will be the same height & depth as the box is. Then I will use a front trim panel & top trim panel to flush it all into the trunk & hide all of the wiring, and a false floor to hide 2 caps & 4 crossovers.

Comments &/or suggestions?

Little update.

Fiberglass is about 1/2 done.

img153.jpg

Top half is very close to being done. Woofer in the pic to give size comparison. :P

img154.jpg

Really hope to have this making noise by Sunday, going all week without any music & huffing FG fumes is driving me crazy.

Always fun, to drive to work smelling the flumes of the resin.

looks like an awesome build! can't wait for finished pics and reviews. good work and good luck!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i wouldnt bother with the caps if you bought them already try to sell them you would be better off getting a small bat instead like a powermaster d680 or d1200 if you can fit it. one bat would probably cost less than the two caps and do a much better job of helping your electrical needs for long bass notes.

Sub is an Audiopulse Epic.

The caps I have had laying around for a while now, and figured I might try to throw them in.

I flip flop on that almost daily, & if I cant find a good spot to put them I will probably do without anyway.

I prefer a nice clean look opposed to the cluttered look.

With the box sitting in my trunk it looks like a very tiny box just sitting in the corner of the trunk, it is very deceiving.

Looking good so far!

Me too- It's hard to tell from the Google Sketchup pics where the box is fully enclosed and where it isn't. I assume that it is only open where the port comes out at the top (by the woofer)?

And if you are making the box self-contained (i.e. all out of MDF), what is the purpose of the fiberglass?

It looks very creative either way. I'm interested to see how this comes together!

did you take any other build pics?

Camera has been acting up & the phone pics look like ass.

The fiberglass IS the bottom half of the box.

The fiberglass layer was attached to the wooden frame that was sitting on it, and the frame is attached to the upper portion (the drawing). From the top it looks like a tiny box just barely large enough to house the 8" sub, when in reality the trunk floor is actually part of the box.

I just got it together & installed last night and played with it today. The sound is pretty impressive, but it does not quite have the volume I was hoping for. Very crisp bass response, and the low down bass just doesnt quit. Only real problem I have is once the car is running the bass is hard to hear over the exhaust, and to get it at my usual listening level while driving the sub is just about at its limits.

I plan to play around with the box a little (change the internal volume a bit) and see what happens, maybe if I can bump the tuning freq up a bit higher it may help with volume.

I will get good pics tomorrow hopefully.

u might be a candidate for the icon 8"s

or just get a ten, i think u would have enough volume for one

Yeah, I want to see these Icon 8's.

I also built the box just big enough to squeeze a 10" in it with minimal modification & get good results still. (I am always thinking ahead)

So if not an SSA 8", I am sure an Icon 10" would fit the bill ;)

ya those 8s are goin to be lil beasts!

and good plannin!

Pic whoring time!!

IMG_2631.jpg

I will have a panel going across from one fender to the other to flush the front & top of the box to the trunk, as well as make a thin back wall to cover the rear of the trunk. There will be cutouts for the woofer to poke out & a similar sized opening for the Alpines to peek out of.

& this little 8" really moves.

I tried to take a couple pics, but they just didnt do it justice.

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

So I tried video with my phone. It didnt either, not to mention it didnt pick up ANY bass notes either.

Trust me it really isnt silent at that volume :laughing:

th_MVI_2637.jpg

Quick update.

Tried changing the volume of the enclosure and it really didnt do anything. I knew the sub had to have a little more life in it so I thought I would slap a quick test box together.

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

(temporary install)

IMG_2651.jpg

Now THIS is what I was wanting the sub to sound like! Finally came to life, and this little guy really pushes some sound.

I think the problem with my other box is the low tuning freq. I bumped this one up a good amount to see what happens & so far I am pretty pleased with the output quality as well as its new found quantity.

Edited by audiophyle

Looks good!

Box is .81cuft gross (minus port of course) & port is tuned to 38hz.

Tuning is kind of high, but it sounds great and really puts out the sound. After the first box I tried a small sealed box and it was alright, but not loud enough. This new box really has the sound I was after, and the bass is still accurate & crisp. I was jamming to Disturbed today & had that thing banging with the bass drum.

wats the box tuned to now, and now is the sq? Im gonna put and 8" epic or soundplinter in my car maybe tuned to 50hz or so

50Hz for that sub is way, way too high to even approach what I'd call "musical"...

wats the box tuned to now, and now is the sq? Im gonna put and 8" epic or soundplinter in my car maybe tuned to 50hz or so

50Hz for that sub is way, way too high to even approach what I'd call "musical"...

ive got the audiopulse axis 15 with a 3000 sundown, i wanna add the 8" for some midbass and for when i dont have the big sub on,.. wat would be a good frequenzy,