Sign in to follow this  
nick_19

please tell me it isn't true

Aight I was bumping hard for bout 20 min or so, and then all the sudden my sub just stopped playin, and my whole car smelled like.. well you know. Rotten eggs or something. Amp is still on perfect, all connections checked.

I know what happened, but I guess I just need someone else to tell me so I'll admit it.

you forgot to take you eggs out of your car after we went to breakfast the other day and the woofer cooked them for you.lol

whaaa i hate this

I can't affored a freakin recone

If I push in on the sub, there is no scratching at all. Does that mean anything at all?

whaaa i hate this

I can't affored a freakin recone

If I push in on the sub, there is no scratching at all. Does that mean anything at all?

i would say put a DMM on the coils to ee if they still read right. if they do then you know your subs fine. also how do you know that the amp is fine. did you try a different sub on it

Ohm the coils. May have just broke a tinsel lead, since no scratching sound. Normally the coil can survive unless you actually saw smoke. . .

there was no smoke... i'll go do that.

srry for the noob but what should i get when I do that

there was no smoke... i'll go do that.

srry for the noob but what should i get when I do that

what is the vc of your sub

It's a dual 2.

I should set the DVM to 200 in the ohm section right?

I hate DVM's. Mine never seems to work right.

And ya know, I've been bumping with the sub all summer, and the settings are exactly the same as they have always been, and i've played the cd i was using many, many times...

Edited by nick_19

It's a dual 2.

I should set the DVM to 200 in the ohm section right?

I hate DVM's. Mine never seems to work right.

sounds right i have never used a dmm to measure ohms before, as i havent killed a sub yet.

yeah set dvm to 200 in the ohm section... you should get a reading anywhere from 1.4 up to 2.0 ohms.... anything lower or higher or no reading means what youre hoping not to hear.....

Aloha

This is why you either need to understand what distortion sounds like, or find someone with an RMS clamp meter and an oscilloscope to set your amplifier.

This is why you either need to understand what distortion sounds like, or find someone with an RMS clamp meter and an oscilloscope to set your amplifier.

I put the DMM on the coils and everything was good. The sub isn't blown.

I got it to play. I have no idea why it smelled sooo bad...

What had happened was my voltage spiked to 16.1 and the h/u went funky I guess... I had to reset my h/u back to factory settings to get the sub output to work again. Who knows... Looks like I'll be takin my car in to get that looked at...

I do know what distortion sounds like... I don't push my equipment too hard. I left myself around 300 watts of "spare" over the RMS to make sure my sub didn't get 'hurt'. I can hear it when it's time to turn it down...

Thanks guys and srry for the false alarm... odd problem though.

The good news is I finished my new box!!! yay

Just kidding.

It wasn't the h/u.

The sub played last night, but after just sitting there overnight, now it won't play. Odd huh?

Sending it in this afternoon. :'(

One good note: AA (and Fi) customer service rocks! Scott's amazing. Glad I went with this company!

smells like eggs , that sound like you have a batt inside your car

and it either got over charged or over drained and boiled then smelled like old eggs.

i would just play an mps player into your amp and see if it plays fine.

then look into that head unit.

good luck

your voltage should never spike that high,... i bet your alt is stuck open and over charged your system. check your alt, and your cells.

too much power will cause problems fosho.

yeah... i'm just confused as to why the sub still played last night??? nothing changed between last night and this morning...

There is not batt in my car, just under the hood. I took my car to the shop and they said that it was probably my voltage meter. Could be... I don't know. But I'm so confused about this sub... I mean it played last night, and it won't play now... I talked to Scott... He couldn't figure it out and so I'm sending it in. I'm baffled.

did you already take the sub from its box.

Sign in to follow this