Philanthro

Mach 5 IXL vs Fi Q

hey philanthro. hows it been. see u finally got the 1000d hope you can get rid of that kicker soon. if i were u id get the ixl. no one has it, especially in a car. either way your not going to be disappointed. im really interested in getting one after i get the new front stage done. heck if u hate it maybe ill have some cash lying around and ill buy it off you haha. but dont count on me, im just hoping to get this whole active setup underway by Xmas and done in late January...

Been over a month... just wondering if you ever got that install done, Helotaxi?

Sound deadening is done. HU installed. Wiring is run except for figuring out how I'm going to hook up to the front battery. Been trying to work on the a-pillar pods, but I can't get to my table saw right now. Garage is full of my wife's car and my bikes, so I need a mobile base for the saw so I can pull it out when needed and move it out of the way so the wife can park the car.

Interesting. The IXL-18 has done very well with the home audio/home theater crowd. Not many use it in car audio due to the fact that it simple requires such a large box to operate.

There's a gent from Oz who did a build using two IXL-18's recently. Perhaps check a page or two back for his thread...

I'd be that gent fing05.gif

Now i have 3 ported in my wall, and the output is quite good; it won me SPL King at a major Autoshow recently, 151.5db from 33hz tuning, a 4kw amp, one battery and 90A alt if thats any help to you.

Huge bang for buck, and with the gains down it blends into music quite well for me. I'm playing with more of these in a sealed box, and its amazing how an 18" sub the price of an entry level 12" performs. Cant compare to a Fi sorry, because no-one sells them in Australia.

Only downside i can see with them is that they require fairly large boxes, and huge amounts of port area: I have 24cubes, 200sqin of port and its not enough to reach anywhere near Xmax at lower notes in the 30 something Hz region.

P.S. Mark, when are more coming to Oz, i need a 4th sub! :suicide-santa:

P.P.S recommended sealed volume for the IXL 18's is 4.6, but gives a Qtc of 0.63? Should'nt it be 3.5 for 0.707?

Edited by RAD

You'll never get to Xmax in the region of freqs that you're looking at without chitloads of power and you'll probably either toast the coil and/or rip the cone to shreds first. You're talking right around tuning where the box is exerting maximum control over the cone minimizing cone movement and maximizing the output from the port.

I use these for mine - works quite well.

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~casters---3-caste...33;casters_shop

I've found the mobile base that I want, it's just a matter of getting it and putting it together and then actually getting the saw on top of it. My saw's heavy and the wife isn't much good for lifting heavy things.

You'll never get to Xmax in the region of freqs that you're looking at without chitloads of power and you'll probably either toast the coil and/or rip the cone to shreds first. You're talking right around tuning where the box is exerting maximum control over the cone minimizing cone movement and maximizing the output from the port.

I realize the cone wont move as much, but audible output at low frequencies is poor compared to having more port area per sub; 3 subs 200sqin vs 2 subs 180 sqin.

Either way, Sealed sounds great with these, but Marks recommended sealed volume vs the 'optimal' Qtc of .707 still intrigues me?

Thanks for more replies. These are looking better each time I think about them, and for the price I'm not sure if much can beat them. I would be running one sealed, so box size shouldn't be too much of an issue...

I can't even imagine what a couple of these things are capable of in a home theater environment. The really low bass that you find in movies must be insane with these things. Just thinking about it puts a grin on my face. ;)

I realize the cone wont move as much, but audible output at low frequencies is poor compared to having more port area per sub; 3 subs 200sqin vs 2 subs 180 sqin.

Either way, Sealed sounds great with these, but Marks recommended sealed volume vs the 'optimal' Qtc of .707 still intrigues me?

I'd be hesitant to call the typical Butterworth alignment of 0.707 "optimal". Like anything in enclosure design, it's a compromise, between being underdamped and overdamped :) If someone can live with less output and knows enough not to kill the speakers due to the reduced mechanical power handling, maybe they'd really like an overdamped setup with a lower Qtc value - IB is a perfect example of this.