tez4life

Recone for a TC9

I have a 15" Soundsplinter RL-p thats in need of a recone. Sub works fine, just the cone is starting to seperate from the surround. Tryed CA glue and it worked well for a while, but its coming lose again. I was wondering if a recone was possible for this sub.

BTW, I sent a email to Nick a few weeks ago, but didnt get a response, so I decided to make this thread to possible get a solution. Thanks.

Edited by tez4life

Try Plumber's Goop in the purple tube from Lowes. If you can't find that, then E2000 from a fabric store is the same thing. Both work GREAT at gluing rubber surrounds to metal (the cone). I used Goop when I built a 12" sub from surplus TC Sounds parts. The rubber surround is bonded like crazy to the cone.

I'd try that before going the full recone route. But if you do have to go that way, Scott and crew can hook you up. I used four of his 18" recone kits and TC-9 motors to make IB subs.

-Robert

Try Plumber's Goop in the purple tube from Lowes. If you can't find that, then E2000 from a fabric store is the same thing. Both work GREAT at gluing rubber surrounds to metal (the cone). I used Goop when I built a 12" sub from surplus TC Sounds parts. The rubber surround is bonded like crazy to the cone.

I'd try that before going the full recone route. But if you do have to go that way, Scott and crew can hook you up. I used four of his 18" recone kits and TC-9 motors to make IB subs.

-Robert

Thanks man I really apperciate that. I bought some today and applied it to the sub, trying to give it 24 hours to hard dry. That stuff is thick lol.

I still was curious about the recone though, even if this work for down the road or if I aquire another tc9 motor...

I still was curious about the recone though, even if this work for down the road or if I aquire another tc9 motor...

I second this as I have a motor from a RL-P18 that I'm interested in getting reconed. I'm in no rush, but the information would be appreciated.

I have four 18" recones using TC9 motors from Elemental Designs E12A.22 subs. They still had the serial number stickers on them. When I spoke to Scott, I told him they were going to be used in a home theater IB powered by a Behringer EP-2500 amp. I trusted his judgement. Now, if it will cool down, I can install it.

As for the quality of the recones. Perfect. Everything fit great. They came with a 6 spoke, 18" basket just like the ones used on the RLp 18. I shimmed them with cardboard from cereal boxes. I double checked everything, practiced the drop in a few times and then added the glue. I used 50min, 2 part epoxy. I think 15 or 20 min would be enough time but I wanted to be 100% sure I had time to do everything. I used an RE 8" sub to weight things down. The next day, I glued on the dust cap with Goop. Getting it centered and the Fi logo aligned was the most difficult part of the whole process.

Soundsplinter motors should be just as easy.

-Robert