Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

a/v receivers

im looking for somthing powerful, with nice options. i have a bucha yamaha speakers already.. i was gonna try and use these, and build a sub system later with yall's help.

thanks

I have an average Pioneer, which does the job.......averagely. It has some strange options (such as when the internal crossovers for the mains are on or off, when the sub preout is on/off, how it changes the sound with certain options, which options are defeatable/not defeatable in certain modes, etc.), but it does the job. I think I bought it new for 250 about 4 years ago. What's your budget?

I love my Denon 3808 driving a pair of full size 3-ways(1" tweeters, 5.25" midranges, and 10" midbasses), and I have a rack amp Dayton 1000W for my two ported 12" subs. I have nothing but praises for these units. My home system is loud enough to peal the trim of my neighbours car parked in his garage. No need to go clubbing. :) Lung collapsing experience. Now I am just bragging. But seriously, this Denon is extremely loud and clean. I cannot get it to destort, I get blurry vision from sheer output and still without a hint of distortion.

Edited by 1sashenka

did my poll work????

im not sure if it did.

my budget is i donno 300... just for a receiver... i was looking at pioneer, or yamaha.... for no good reason other then one i have speakers of... and the other i know.. pioneer has allways been good to me...

i have few of other brands currently.. i have a few rca units. 2 kenwoods but thay are all older.

I do not see a poll, but it is a tough choice between Yamaha and Pioneer. Both make excellent product. I guess it all comes down to features, price, and cosmetics.

I would definitely go to a store and play around with the receiver you think you want for a while if you can.

Any particular reason you're looking for a receiver?

I'd take a separate integrated amp and tuner over one in most cases...and for $300, anything new is going to be a huge compromise.

What kind of Yamaha speakers are they?

thats a good question mike. lemme try and find out.

i have one pair of these... http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5002900

i have one pair of these ...... http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5002900 used currently in my home office media.

and one pair of these.... http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5002900

and then i have a some rca book shelfs aswell.

http://support.radioshack.com/productinfo/...ems&Reuse=N

You can get a entry level harmon kardon for about 300 dollars. Lots of power. Each channel has its own amplifier. I have one and couldn't be happier

Edited by idlewild

Any particular reason you're looking for a receiver?

I'd take a separate integrated amp and tuner over one in most cases...and for $300, anything new is going to be a huge compromise.

i donno.... i guess... so i could switch to dvd radio cd or what ever else i wanted to with a remote....

but hell man i know nothing outside of the box..... show me the ways.....

I think that with your price range a Pioneer would offer more features than any of the other brands mentioned. At around $300 I"m concerned with connections and features. The amount of or lack there of digital inputs, hdmi, component, are what will decide which I choose. I think that an entry level pioneer has more of these features than a denon, yamaha, onkyo. But there is usually a trade off for all these extra features and that is going to be sound quality. Then again, at $300 I don't expect much. I just want it to work and do everything that it's supposed to and easily. I want things like on-screen display.

I bought a denon avr-587 on clearance for about $120 and was very disappointed. Retail was around $300 I believe, but I was expecting it to be a small step down from my denon 3803. I figured it'd have less power and less connections. When I fired it up I almost felt like returning it, but I preferred the ease of use and the ability to use a remote over the better sounding antique thing that I was using prior.

Basically after this experience I don't expect much out of any receiver in that price range. Me personally in your situation I would go with refurb marantz or onkyo from accessories4less, like was mentioned above, or I would just buy the pioneer.

If you dont need current features like latest HDMI and wantnot, you may want to look in classified for used receivers. Lotsa bargains to be had on some high end gear from 3-5 yrs old stuff, if you don't mind hooking it up with regular component cables. In this case, definition upscaling is basicly out of the picture. Depending on your TV size too. Ask yourself how hi-def you wanna go. I would quicker jump on used Denons, Marantz's, NAD's, Harman Cardons. But you may find some rock bottom prices on mid-fi gear, cause some movie buffs always ready to unload their 2-3 year old equipment to get current stuff. You can bargain with them. Trust me, they just want to get rid of it. And look at the power supply ratings in the spec section to get an idea how powerfull the receiver is. It should be current hungry.