Sign in to follow this  
nyst8ofmind

SSD 12 or 15?

Hey all, I've never owned Fi, but I love what I've seen and read and I've decided it will be the sub for my next setup.

I'm going with a single sub setup and based on my music preference I'm wondering what everyone's suggestion would be on whether to go with the SSD 12 or 15.

I listen to alt. rock/metal and on occassion rap when I'm just in the mood for some ridiculous bass. I wanted to go sealed based on my music choice but I know the 15 is not recommended for sealed applications. I've never listened to rock in a ported enclosure so does anyone have any first hand experience on what rock would sound like on a 15" ported? (I assume it would not be good at all but maybe I'm wrong)

For my music would I be better off with an SSD 12 sealed or a 15 ported, or possibly even 15 sealed if its becoming more popular? I will be getting the copper coils regardless of the size I go with.

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo with these dimensions to work with: 17"H x 36.5"Wx 17"D. I plan on using the 36.5"W external dimension for the looks in order to blend the box into my trunk, the internal will be whatever neccessary.

I've never built a sub enclosure but am very confident in my abilities (I did carpentry for years before joinging the military) but I do have one question. I know how to determine the internal volume of an enclosure, but do I have to add in the space that the woofer itself will consume inside the box?

For example, if I build a 1.5ft^3 enclosure based on a manufacturer's recommendation, does that 1.5ft^3 take into account the space the sub will take up or do I have to compensate and add to the box's internal dimensions in order to get to 1.5ft^3 with the sub installed?

Also, the amp I have and will be running the SSD with is a Hifonics Bxi 1206D. Not the best amp I know, but I know it will work until the funds allow for an upgrade. I will most likely go with the dual 2 bc the amp puts out 1200rms @1, and I know these amps are overrated.

Thanks for your input, I can't wait to be an Fi owner! I'm ending a tour in afghanistan shortly and want to get this puppy ordered so its waiting for me when I get home.

Hey all, I've never owned Fi, but I love what I've seen and read and I've decided it will be the sub for my next setup.

I'm going with a single sub setup and based on my music preference I'm wondering what everyone's suggestion would be on whether to go with the SSD 12 or 15.

I listen to alt. rock/metal and on occassion rap when I'm just in the mood for some ridiculous bass. I wanted to go sealed based on my music choice but I know the 15 is not recommended for sealed applications. I've never listened to rock in a ported enclosure so does anyone have any first hand experience on what rock would sound like on a 15" ported? (I assume it would not be good at all but maybe I'm wrong)

For my music would I be better off with an SSD 12 sealed or a 15 ported, or possibly even 15 sealed if its becoming more popular? I will be getting the copper coils regardless of the size I go with.

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo with these dimensions to work with: 17"H x 36.5"Wx 17"D. I plan on using the 36.5"W external dimension for the looks in order to blend the box into my trunk, the internal will be whatever neccessary.

I've never built a sub enclosure but am very confident in my abilities (I did carpentry for years before joinging the military) but I do have one question. I know how to determine the internal volume of an enclosure, but do I have to add in the space that the woofer itself will consume inside the box?

For example, if I build a 1.5ft^3 enclosure based on a manufacturer's recommendation, does that 1.5ft^3 take into account the space the sub will take up or do I have to compensate and add to the box's internal dimensions in order to get to 1.5ft^3 with the sub installed?

Also, the amp I have and will be running the SSD with is a Hifonics Bxi 1206D. Not the best amp I know, but I know it will work until the funds allow for an upgrade. I will most likely go with the dual 2 bc the amp puts out 1200rms @1, and I know these amps are overrated.

Thanks for your input, I can't wait to be an Fi owner! I'm ending a tour in afghanistan shortly and want to get this puppy ordered so its waiting for me when I get home.

Ported can still sound good on rock music. If built right, the transient response will still be there (mine is).

However, if the 15 is more meant for ported boxes (I've never heard of that, usually the same model line will perform in similar boxes), I'd go 12. I think you'd want sealed.

As for the enclosure, yes you have to add the amount of space the sub takes up. So in your example, you may need to build the box to have 1.6 or 1.65 cubic feet internally.

Ported can still sound good on rock music. If built right, the transient response will still be there (mine is).

However, if the 15 is more meant for ported boxes (I've never heard of that, usually the same model line will perform in similar boxes), I'd go 12. I think you'd want sealed.

As for the enclosure, yes you have to add the amount of space the sub takes up. So in your example, you may need to build the box to have 1.6 or 1.65 cubic feet internally.

you have never heard of a sub that calls for ported box only?

you have never heard of a sub that calls for ported box only?

No, I have. Just not what he's saying, that the 15" SSD is for ported and the 12" SSD is for sealed. Usually the 15 and 12 inch versions in the same model line are meant for the same application. Many, in fact, are the exact same motor with just bigger basket and cones. I don't know if this is the case for FI or not. Some companies engineer each size so that performance is comparable and proportional throughout the sizes, regardless of size. But even in that case, they should call for the same style box.

thats the displacement number listed in the specs right?

Here is another question.

I have a Hifonics bxi1206D (900rms @2 1200rms @1 overrated i know) at my house in phoenix, but I also have a US Amps XT2000D at my parents house in NY that puts out 1,000rms @1.

Which would be better to power the 12" or 15" SSD with?

I probably would opt for the sealed 12 and US Amp.

Well, i ran the 15" SSD with Copper Coil option on a Hifonics BXI1206D (IDENTICAL I KNOW RIGHT?!)

Box was ~2.5ft^3, with a plug port. Meaning, 33hz with plug in (Rap bass would blow my mind) and pull the plug out and 44 hz tune.

Ive never heard rock sound so amazing with the port out, it was so clear and crisp.

If your willing to have fun and get tuned in right, 15" ported.

If you wanna slap a box together and put the sub in and just turn on the music, sealed.

Edit: I live just down the road for you. Id show you my setup but i sold it. Still have the box iirc though.

Edited by bob

Sign in to follow this