QuestionMan

My box still smells

Well i installed it mid june(?), everything has worked great. Whenever i took people, they said my truck smells weird. I never really thought about it, but last weekend i drove a group to the football game (they chose the guy with an 11 mpg truck to drive 1.5 hours there, wtf lol) and took the box out for the ride up. When i put it back in a couple days later, i noticed the smell. I guess i just got used to it, and never noticed.

I know it's not my sub, because it can smell funny when i get in it for the first time in a couple days, when nothing has been playing. I really can't describe it, it's a mixture of things. Wood would definitly be one smell, but could it be silicone? I wouldn't think so after so long, but i'd really like to figure out what it is.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading

oh and air freshners don't work. lol

My friends also noticed it, claiming it smelled like "silly putty". It's the MDF chemicals. If you carpet it, the smell will vanish.

My friends also noticed it, claiming it smelled like "silly putty". It's the MDF chemicals. If you carpet it, the smell will vanish.

I wondered about that, but i figured carpeting wouldn't help the wood on the inside (not fiberglassed), which the sub moved that air outside the box constantly. I've been telling myself i was going to carpet since i got it in, just never got around lol. guess it's time.

ya after having a non carpeted box for forever (multiples) the smell is one that stays for a while. Gets bad in the sun too

Well i installed it mid june(?), everything has worked great. Whenever i took people, they said my truck smells weird. I never really thought about it, but last weekend i drove a group to the football game (they chose the guy with an 11 mpg truck to drive 1.5 hours there, wtf lol) and took the box out for the ride up. When i put it back in a couple days later, i noticed the smell. I guess i just got used to it, and never noticed.

I know it's not my sub, because it can smell funny when i get in it for the first time in a couple days, when nothing has been playing. I really can't describe it, it's a mixture of things. Wood would definitly be one smell, but could it be silicone? I wouldn't think so after so long, but i'd really like to figure out what it is.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading

oh and air freshners don't work. lol

haha, i noticed a smell coming from mine too! i kinda like the smell of the wood and glue for some weird reason. try shoving a car freshener or spraying fabreez deep inside the port, maybe it will blow out a good smell.