ngsm13

Cleaning up wires...i see smoke...help!

Ok,

SOOOO, I'm reallllly baffled and just plain pissed off. Last night i decided to cable tie ALL of my wires, put plastic tuding around all of them, and tie them back. (kinda clean up my wires/install real good before I make my amplifier rack.)

So, that's what i was doing last night. Not installing anything...I only unhooked my subwoofer amp...nothing else, i didn't even take apart my dash or anything.

That's the pre-face, here's what happened. I was hooking my subwoofer amplifier back up, (don't THINK it had anything to do with this...but it happened at the same time i was hooking the sub amp up.) Keep in mind my car key is IN MY POCKET no where near the ignition and my truck is not on. All of a sudden my radar detector goes crazy (turns off and on a few times doing to "beep beep" startup thing) and then smoke POURS out of the dash...from the vents...and chit. I immediately unhook the radar while this is happening.

That's what happened, then I immediately take my dash apart...I decide to turn the CD player on to see if it still works, it turns on but neither of my amps turn on. Then i take my key out, and the CD Player stays on with the key out of the ignition and the car NOT on. I take the wiring harness and all rca's etc off and set the CD player off to the side. I check behind the ground wire on the HU is TOTALLY fried...the plastc melted off...bare wire exposed and chit. (this is for s short section, a splice from the HU wiring harness ground to a splic to where i grounded it...it wasn't long enough so there's a splice b/w the two). So i'm thoroughly baffled at how this all of a sudden happened AND TO THE GND WIRE with the car off.

So, i ****in electrical tape EVERYTHING. Any splices that i thought even remotely could have touched something and shorted something out. I re-do the GND (it's in the rear, so all of my stereo components are grounded at the same point.) Then i turn it back on, speaker amp turns on...components are playing....but the sub amp is in protect. Then all of a sudden the speaker amp shuts off and smoke comes out near the HU ground again by the harness.

I know this is a long story...hopefully some people will read it. Feel free to ask any questions that my help me resolve this. Please no smart ass comments like "that sucks" or any of that chit. I'm just REALLY pissed now b/c i try to clean up my install to make it look good and what happens...potentially $400-600 worth of products fudge up...and it doesn't make for a great b-day present for me.

Any help or suggestions?

NG

Holy crap! Do you perhaps have an alarm. I have seen alarm brains fry and send some spikes and funny voltage through a lot of things.

Holy crap!  Do you perhaps have an alarm.  I have seen alarm brains fry and send some spikes and funny voltage through a lot of things.

Well, i have an alarm...but it's not in my car. Lol, it's in my room waiting to be installed. Any other suggestions?!?!?! thanx, peace

NG

Ok,

SOOOO, I'm reallllly baffled and just plain pissed off. Last night i decided to cable tie ALL of my wires, put plastic tuding around all of them, and tie them back. (kinda clean up my wires/install real good before I make my amplifier rack.)

So, that's what i was doing last night. Not installing anything...I only unhooked my subwoofer amp...nothing else, i didn't even take apart my dash or anything.

That's the pre-face, here's what happened. I was hooking my subwoofer amplifier back up, (don't THINK it had anything to do with this...but it happened at the same time i was hooking the sub amp up.) Keep in mind my car key is IN MY POCKET no where near the ignition and my truck is not on. All of a sudden my radar detector goes crazy (turns off and on a few times doing to "beep beep" startup thing) and then smoke POURS out of the dash...from the vents...and chit. I immediately unhook the radar while this is happening.

That's what happened, then I immediately take my dash apart...I decide to turn the CD player on to see if it still works, it turns on but neither of my amps turn on. Then i take my key out, and the CD Player stays on with the key out of the ignition and the car NOT on. I take the wiring harness and all rca's etc off and set the CD player off to the side. I check behind the ground wire on the HU is TOTALLY fried...the plastc melted off...bare wire exposed and chit. (this is for s short section, a splice from the HU wiring harness ground to a splic to where i grounded it...it wasn't long enough so there's a splice b/w the two). So i'm thoroughly baffled at how this all of a sudden happened AND TO THE GND WIRE with the car off.

So, i ****in electrical tape EVERYTHING. Any splices that i thought even remotely could have touched something and shorted something out. I re-do the GND (it's in the rear, so all of my stereo components are grounded at the same point.) Then i turn it back on, speaker amp turns on...components are playing....but the sub amp is in protect. Then all of a sudden the speaker amp shuts off and smoke comes out near the HU ground again by the harness.

I know this is a long story...hopefully some people will read it. Feel free to ask any questions that my help me resolve this. Please no smart ass comments like "that sucks" or any of that chit. I'm just REALLY pissed now b/c i try to clean up my install to make it look good and what happens...potentially $400-600 worth of products fudge up...and it doesn't make for a great b-day present for me.

Any help or suggestions?

NG

ngsm13 sorry to hear about your problems----it sounds as if you had a few shorts in your system----even with your key in your pocket your car still has electrcial energy in it----next time---pull the fuse inline or do what I do---disconnect the battery----even for minor things it saves alot of blown fuses and alot of heartache in the end.

do this---hook everything back up----but this time leave the inline fuse and the battery disconnected----that should be all it takes---and if you need anything else---ask :slayer:

hope this helps,

Dave