Nikuk

Sooo...

So... as the world turns, a very good friend of mine is returning to college in the search for more good ole edumacation. As a result he is selling me one of his babies....

More to the point, is anyone aware of a couple of decent Mustang forums? Primarily late Fox-Bodies (86-93).

By decent I mean: SSA > CA > SD > etc...

Thanks...

Nick

:D

corral.net and stangnet.com are the top runners. Mustangworld.com is more or less like CA.com, but there's a lot of useful info there also.

Let me know if you need anything. I have been around Mustangs since birth and can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about the late-models. I've owned quite a few also, as well as fox-based Cougars and T-birds.

corral.net and stangnet.com are the top runners.  Mustangworld.com is more or less like CA.com, but there's a lot of useful info there also.

Let me know if you need anything.  I have been around Mustangs since birth and can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about the late-models.  I've owned quite a few also, as well as fox-based Cougars and T-birds.

:woot:

Thanks for the links...

Right now, primary goal is to get her into the garage (which entails getting the Brother-in-laws POS out of it), and a quick clutch job.

I've been around alot of Foxy's, but have very little wrench time on them. I used to work primarily on Commercial & light duty trucks in a former life. Alot carries over of course, but I know these have their... quirks (?).

Gotta study up on the 5.0 swap... maybe 5.8.... :D

Thanks again,

-Nick

5.8 will require nothing more than a different set of headers and the timing cover off the 5.0L. It's that simple. A little taller deck height will make it sit a little higher and wider, but I've seen many under a stock hood. Weight is going to be the biggest factor. It's like a 1-150lb. gain. Not too bad if you go with a tubular K-member. You looking to just cruise or any racing intentions? Griggs and Maximum Motorsports would be the only suspension piece I would add. They are quite pricey, but after you use the parts, you realize just what a bargain they are.

Check out the new MGW shifter if you can. Sweetest piece I've ever seen and you can bet my old Pro 5.0 will go way to one.

5.8 is fairly direct... hmmmm :glare:

My biggest concern on the 5.8 vs. 5.0 is the weight. This car is an LX 4banger originally... As you might have noticed though, there'll be a bit of extra weight just rear of the B-Pillar. This'll help the front / rear distribution, but nothing else :hyper:

I can have a 5.0 (nearly turnkey) & t-5 from Chris as well, so this makes it much easier for me.

BTW, just cruising, the occasional 1/8 mile, and the ever rare road course (there are just a few within a decent drive from Me). So my first project is really rear-end & suspension.

Thanks

-Nick

5.8 is fairly direct... hmmmm  :glare:

My biggest concern on the 5.8 vs. 5.0 is the weight. This car is an LX 4banger originally... As you might have noticed though, there'll be a bit of extra weight just rear of the B-Pillar. This'll help the front / rear distribution, but nothing else  :hyper:

I can have a 5.0 (nearly turnkey) & t-5 from Chris as well, so this makes it much easier for me.

BTW, just cruising, the occasional 1/8 mile, and the ever rare road course (there are just a few within a decent drive from Me). So my first project is really rear-end & suspension.

Thanks

-Nick

You will want to do some work on the front as well. Even with just the 5L you'll want to upgrade the spindles, all brakes and hardware, and sway bar. The rack and springs are all different on the 4 cyl cars as well. I have a few magazines where they've fully detailed the 4 cyl. to 5.0/5.8 swap. I'll see if I can dig them up and if you'd like I could mail them to you. There are also a lot of companies that have packages for everything you will need as well.

You might want to get an issue of 5.0 and/or Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. They have a ton of stuff in them with a million vendors.

A good site for used parts is www.stangparts.com This is Mustang Parts Specialties. They are located in Windsor Georgia and are a strictly late-model mustang salvage yard. They have a ton of stuff too.

You will want to do some work on the front as well.  Even with just the 5L you'll want to upgrade the spindles, all brakes and hardware, and sway bar.  The rack and springs are all different on the 4 cyl cars as well.  I have a few magazines where they've fully detailed the 4 cyl. to 5.0/5.8 swap.  I'll see if I can dig them up and if you'd like I could mail them to you.  There are also a lot of companies that have packages for everything you will need as well. 

You might want to get an issue of 5.0 and/or Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.  They have a ton of stuff in them with a million vendors.

Oh yes, I plan on stiffening the whole chassis. I'm just starting in the rear...

I've heard the stock rack should hold up alright, but I know there is far better out there.

If you would, I would greatly appreciate it!! Whenever you get around to it, let me know I'll send yah the cover price!

Hmm yea, this town used to be big on Mustangs, alot of friend's have run one or two, so I've kept up with the 'zines a lil. I still pick up MM&FF now and again.

Welp, I'm off to get into the forum's you've linked! Thanks..

BTW, there are a few snapshots I posted up in the 'Show Off' forum :D

-Nick

Tirefryr... what do you think about the 94-95 SN95 front spindle swap? Apparently it's a fairly direct bolt-in...

5 lug, better brakes, better geometry...

-and-

I've found a nice '88 Gt donor. :D

Tirefryr... what do you think about the 94-95 SN95 front spindle swap? Apparently it's a fairly direct bolt-in...

5 lug, better brakes, better geometry...

-and-

I've found a nice '88 Gt donor. :D

You got it. Thats the way to go. You may want to upgrade the control arms to 98+ also, they have a newer balljoint design that is vastly improved.

If you really want to get nasty, you could get the whole ABS setup off a newer car with the Hydraboost and rid youself of the mastercylinder/booster assembly for some more underhood room. Would be rather pricey though I would think.