Sign in to follow this  
tezin87

100.2 blowing my comps

My 100.2 was pushing a set of PG RSD's until the passenger side mid and tweet stopped working.....but the drivers side was fine. I replaced the PG's with a set of Pioneer TS-C720PRS and after two weeks I noticed the tweeter from passenger side was cutting out. Eventually the tweeter stopped working all together, and now my mid is cutting out on me......and it doesn't matter if it is at high volumes or low volumes. So basically to sum it all up: The channel that's pushing my passenger side has blown through two different comp sets and I'm wondering if something is wrong with the amp, or if I'm doing something wrong (the drivers side mid and tweet are fine). I don't have the gain up that high (which I know isn't saying much) and they aren't crossed any lower than 80hz.

I'd clamp the outputs and put them on an o'scope to see if anything's wrong...

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'll try and find a shop around my school that has an o-scope. So do you think I'm going to have to replace my mid now too? I already bought a new tweeter to replace the blown one.

I'd check it with a DMM to make sure, and try it with another amplifier to rule it out, but it doesn't look good for that if one tweet already fried...

It happens, yes. The channels each have their own circuitry. Wouldn't be unusual for there to be a bad component in only one channel. I would think that both channels having problems would be unusual unless the problem was the power supply.

Thanks helo...I sent Jacob a PM yesterday asking him what I should do. I'm guessing I'll have to send it to Db-r.

Impossible to say without looking at the setup/dissecting the amp.

Did you measure the output ? Check for DC ?

Also keep in mind that the 100.2 is *significantly* under-rated, could simply be too much power.

No I haven't measured output or anything yet. It just seemed weird to me that only the passenger side was being affected and not both sides. I'm hoping that it's just error on my part with the gain....the amp has never gone into protect or anything, although it ran pretty hot during the summer. I just went for a ride and played two songs without the mid faulting at all, it doesn't happen all the time.....it's pretty random.

Are you using any sort of amplitude correction on the right side ?

I know that I always fade to the right in my cars since those speakers are farther away.

The only time I faded to either side was after I realized that something was wrong. I heard the passenger side tweeter stop playing and come back on so I faded to the right to get a better listen. I have an alpine 9830 hu and it has time correction but I don't have that setting on at all.

Could also be a coincidence too, hard to say - if your amp is still playing fine it is probably fine. Only thing you should check for is DC on that side.

you could switch the RCA's and the channels and see if it happens on the other side lol.

albeit it would be much better to use a clamp/oscilloscope/voltage meter if you had them available.

is it possible that you have a water problem on passanger side causing issues like the crossover getting wet and blowing

Sign in to follow this