Larams

Having problems with amps.

I bought 2 Sundown amps. One sax-100.2 and one sae-1200D. The 1st problem affects both amplifiers. Neither of the remote gain controls work. The blue led lights up on both but when you turn the dial it does nothing. Just so it's clear I set the gains on the amps 1st with a dmm then if I try and adjust it further in my cab with the remote gains nothing happens.

The 2nd problem is with the sae-1200d. This amp is barely putting out any power at all. I have triple checked all my wiring and even hooked up an Infinity 600 watt amp to the subs I'm using to see if it does the same thing but it gets plenty loud with the infinity. If it makes a difference I have 2 10" dual 4ohms PG rsdc competition subs wired down to 1 ohm. All my power and grounds are done with 1/0 gauge wire and I have also done the big 3 with 1/0 gauge wire.

The 3rd problem I have is that when I bought the 100.2 I did not receive an invoice. I have mentioned it here on this forum and I have e-mailed DB-r where the amp was purchased and they do not respond.

I bought 2 Sundown amps. One sax-100.2 and one sae-1200D. The 1st problem affects both amplifiers. Neither of the remote gain controls work. The blue led lights up on both but when you turn the dial it does nothing. Just so it's clear I set the gains on the amps 1st with a dmm then if I try and adjust it further in my cab with the remote gains nothing happens.

The 2nd problem is with the sae-1200d. This amp is barely putting out any power at all. I have triple checked all my wiring and even hooked up an Infinity 600 watt amp to the subs I'm using to see if it does the same thing but it gets plenty loud with the infinity. If it makes a difference I have 2 10" dual 4ohms PG rsdc competition subs wired down to 1 ohm. All my power and grounds are done with 1/0 gauge wire and I have also done the big 3 with 1/0 gauge wire.

The 3rd problem I have is that when I bought the 100.2 I did not receive an invoice. I have mentioned it here on this forum and I have e-mailed DB-r where the amp was purchased and they do not respond.

Disconnect the bass knob from the 1200D and see if the power increases.. Skip the knobs for now. The receipt is their responsibility.

Edited by P-Dizzle

i belive the remote gains only work when the cross over is in low pass mode.

i belive the remote gains only work when the cross over is in low pass mode.

Good call Big...

I figured out the output problem and now the sae-1200d cranks. I had the crossover accidently set to the lowest point. Once I turned that up to about 80hz

the amp came to life big time. I have a stock alt so I don't expect to get the full potential from the amp yet.

Oh and the 100.2 puts out way more than 100 watts by my ear. I didn't do any scientific tests or anything but I can tell by listening that it's under rated by far. I had to turn the gain way down on it to get a good match with the subwoofer volume.

Now I just need to figure out why the remotes aren't working. It doesn't matter if the 100.2 is in low pass, high pass or thru, the remote still doesn't work. The sae-1200d doesn't have a low, high or thru option.

Cool. I haven't tested the 1200D but the 100.2 is awesome. It has to produce about 500 RMS bridged. I know there have been a few bad remotes but both are bad? Damn.. Jacob should chime in by Monday.

besure that those remote cables are 4 line..... try a nother phone cable... just besure that it is a 4 line.

Yah, hopefully Jacob can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure I'll get it worked out eventually.

Thanks for the help from you guys though I appreciate it.

The remote knobs don't turn the volume either up or down?

The remote knobs don't turn the volume either up or down?

No, nothing happens when I turn the knob either up or down. The led's are on though so I know they are connected right.

correct me if I am wrong but don't the remotes work like a gain volume reducer. They will only turn up as loud as the gain is set, as opposed to bass boost type remote knobs

correct me if I am wrong but don't the remotes work like a gain volume reducer. They will only turn up as loud as the gain is set, as opposed to bass boost type remote knobs

That's why I asked if the knobs wouldn't turn it either up or down.

The cable is a regular telephone cord with an RJ-11 connector. I'd bet that it is a defective cable. It doesn't take a lot to mess them up, probably pinched somewhere.

If want an official Sundown Audio remote gain control cable, PM me. I have a bunch laying around. I usually use bulk telephone cord and crimp my own RJ-11 connectors on the end.

The 1200D remote is different, you are using the specific 1200D remote, right ?

As for the 100.2 remote gain - it will only work in LPF mode. If it is on your component speakers it will do nothing. Most of the effect is in the first 1/3 turn on the knob as well - may not be very noticeable unless you are driving a woofer in LPF mode.

Yes I am using the correct remotes for each amp. The hard wired remote is for the 1200d. The 100.2 remote does work in LPF I figured out but the 1200D remote doesn't work at all.

Yes I am using the correct remotes for each amp. The hard wired remote is for the 1200d. The 100.2 remote does work in LPF I figured out but the 1200D remote doesn't work at all.

Hmmmm. Well, once I get more in e-mail me and we will swap yours out if you need it. Should work as per db-r's review:

http://www.db-r.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1219867818

"The wired remote control is fairly linear in operation and when you turn it all the way down, it really turns it all the way down. It seems to work as the remotes do with the SAZ line, it backs down your gain won't let you go over whatever you set your gain to, but will allow you to back it down as you turn the knob on the remote from Max down to Min. It doesn't look exactly like the remotes for the SAZ line but does have a blue LED so it will match when lit up."

No worries, I probably won't even use it anyway. I was off work today so I did some more work on my install and I think I got it all dialled in perfectly. Man, I gotta say this is by far the best sounding system I've ever had. I must of spent 2 hours just listening to different tunes before I realized so much time went by. The 1200D is the perfect amp for someone like me who wants nice SQ but then once in awhile you feel like blasting your face off. On my stock amp that puts out 90 amps I can turn it up to unbearable levels (for me) and not dim my lights. Another thing I was worried about was the amp heating up but I had zero issues with it after a good 2hrs straight of blasting it. I kept touching the amp to see if it was hot and it never even felt like it changed temp at all.

Anyway, I'm not worried about the remote and plus it's kinda redundant when I have sub control on my headunit. I also got in touch with db-r today and they are sending me an invoice. Nice guys over there. They were friendly and helped me get everything squared away.

I'm really happy I bought these Sundown amps and I'm thinking I might try some of your subs in the near future.

Glad you are pleased with your purchases :)

The 1200D really does run quite cool. When we tested the prototype it was in a MUCH thinner and lighter heat-sink and still didn't get very hot - we specially tooled this case for even cooler operation!