Sign in to follow this  
Slumpin

usa 4080 bridged or 2150 for 8 ohm mids?

i currently have a us acoustics USA4050 (50x4 @ 4 ohms) running my mids and tweets active, and it just isnt enough power for them. my mids are 8 ohm coils. unless i find a good deal on a big power, small footprint amp, i'll be picking up either a USA4080 (80x4 @ 4, 240x2 4 ohm bridged) or a USA2150 (2x150 @ 4 ohm) to run the mids, and bridge the 4050 to my tweets.

how would those 2 options compare efficiency wise? the 4080 bridged would run the 8 ohm mids with a lot more headroom than the 2150 right?

how does running 2 amps for my mids/tweets compare in efficiency to running one big amplifier with dual power supplies, along the lines of a DD S4 or a zuki eleets? any zed amps up around 150x4?

Edited by Slumpin

I like that idea of the 2150 to the mids. But if you have both amps, why not try out one at a time and see which you prefer.

i've had another person say the same thing, could i ask why? in theory, wouldnt it do around 75-100x2 @ 8 ohms, as opposed to the 160x2 id get from bridging the 4080?

i'm thinking about digging my old crossfire vr602 out tomorrow and trying to find room for it. the only zed amp i have right now is the usa4050.

Edited by Slumpin

creative sdx7, single 8 ohm coils. basically a bigger, badder adire extremis.

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/css/sdx7.pdf

Edited by Slumpin

Those aren't exactly efficient. To even really notice a difference you will need to double your power, your other option would be to replace them with something more efficient instead of changing amplifiers. Personally in your shoes, I'd go as big as possible :)

i found a deal on a USA2200, the skinny one without the fan. gonna sleep on it, but i'll probably pick that up to run my mids with the 4050 bridges on my tweets. would fit into the space i have to work with... i'm a little concerned about the heat though.

i found a deal on a USA2200, the skinny one without the fan. gonna sleep on it, but i'll probably pick that up to run my mids with the 4050 bridges on my tweets. would fit into the space i have to work with... i'm a little concerned about the heat though.

I used to have that amp. Did me very well for a number of years. Pissed I sold it.

run pretty warm for you? what did you run with it?

run pretty warm for you? what did you run with it?

I don't think it got that warm. But anything ZED has always had good heat transfer. Had a number of different sub woofers at 4 ohm mono. Even an original Kicker Solobaric 12C I believe. :)

If you end up using the 2150, I might be interested in your 4 channel.