Sign in to follow this  
spl_eddie

JL 500/1 repair

Hi everyone, I have a JL Audio 500/1 that is blown. the green power light will come on, thats it; no safety light or anything. when it powers up the green light will come on but there is no output. Ive taken the boards out and looked them over. i have not noticed any visual problems but i could have missed something. does anyone know anything about these amps or how i can trouble shoot the problem! i live in Indianapolis, Indiana; if anyone lives close you can take a look. Thanks in advance.

Eddie Gossett

Did you buy it faulty or did it just stop working one day? We need more information about your setup, any potential things that may have gone wrong...:)

on the slash series jl amps BEFORE powering you must present a load...

so put a speaker to it... but rca's to it.. and then power it up.

if still nothing... flip all settings, and turn all dials

background of the amp: my friend had this amp in his 07 beamer. he had a complete jl setup. all amplified. and one day nothing worked. his cd player came on but no sound came out. so i got the amp from him. (i thought his cd player went out because the amps powered up) Thats all the history i know of it. and ive tried turning all the dials every which way possible. and nothing... i got another 500/1 from him ( was never installed) and it works. im stumped. one of the resisters looks a little worn but could that be the reason why? thanks in advance.

Eddie Gossett :eek5wavey:

im sure DB-r can fix it.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction big jon! :). im new to these forums but everyone on here seems to be good solid people. glad to be a part of it.

Eddie Gossett

i talked to db-r and he said he's not taking in anymore amplifiers at this time. so i need to find another way. is there anyone on here who would have any idea on where to start to trouble shoot this amp? thanks in advance!

Eddie Gossett

i talked to db-r and he said he's not taking in anymore amplifiers at this time. so i need to find another way. is there anyone on here who would have any idea on where to start to trouble shoot this amp? thanks in advance!

Eddie Gossett

I know people used to send stuff to CIA Engineering, but I have not heard of them in a while. There is always ZED Audio.

BOOOOOO CIA Engineering....... nice people but SLLLOOOOOWWWWW

Did you check all your connections? My ground when I first hooked mine up was weak and it caused basically the same thing. I've heard the JL amps are very sensitive to this kind of thing. Hope that helps.

thanks. im going to go take it apart right now and see. im not sure what all connections i can check inside the amp though... not to familiar with the guts of amps. thanks

Eddie Gossett

i had this happend to me on mine too.. i took it apart cleaned it.. took out the boards... put it al back togather hooked it up 100% and it worked.

was yours a jl slash series? and clean it with duster spray? would that be ok you think? thanks in advance.

Eddie Gossett

it was indeed a slash....

i just used a can of duster...... but it was not dirty at all...

mine is apart right now, im using the duster in it and not seeing a spec move. i really hope i get as lucky as you did. the guy from dbr said sometimes the boards need to be disconnected then reconnected well and it'll work. but i did that last time to try. i have my fingers crossed though. i'll let you know here shortly. thanks.

Eddie Gossett

nope, that didnt work. now i either throw the amp away or get it shipped out for repair..... what do you think.?

have you checked if your RCA wires send signals? or maybe you dont have a impedance load between 1.5-4 ohms. the regulated intelligent power supply (R.I.P.S.) only works if its between 1.5 and 4 ohms

i introduced a load to the amp before i powered it. i hooked up a single 4 ohm voice coil to the amp before i powered it. so it should have been there.... im hoping i can save this amp without spending to much money

you can also try www.amprepaircenter.com

They are in Ohio.

Also, PM me about the subs if you're gettin them this weekend.

ok, im going to try them. thanks. idk if i can get those subs this weekend. friday is my 21st birthday, so i might not be able to make it and i dont know how my funds will be after that lol, sorry. i'll let you know for sure though. thanks

Eddie Gossett