Sign in to follow this  
ABXX49

active question

I'm wanting to go with a 3-way active system in the SC sometime in the future. I already have a Pioneer 880 and a 10" SSA Icon. My question, though, is about signal. I know my HU had 3-way abilities, but is that for a tweeter, mid, sub set up? If I want to go tweeter, midrange, mid bass, and sub will I need an external processor?

The 880 does not have the internal processing capabilities to do tweeter/midrange/midbass/sub.

So I would need an external processor of some sort?

Depends, what mounting locations do you have? Also what amplifiers?

I'm know where near ready, but I'm wanting to go with A-pillars for the midrange and tweeter. I also want to run sundown amps, but I just wanted some general answers. Is it the new 100.4 that has the powerful crossover?

I'm know where near ready, but I'm wanting to go with A-pillars for the midrange and tweeter. I also want to run sundown amps, but I just wanted some general answers. Is it the new 100.4 that has the powerful crossover?

indeed it is

if you use the 100.4, then you dont need any extra processors because it has everything that you need onboard

if you decide to go with a bunch of 2 channels, then you will need some processing.

If you put your mid and tweeter right next to each other an amplifier with a crossover could do the split between them as they won't need time alignment and the eq on the 880 should be enough to deal with "issues" as long as you choose drivers that have a fairly flexible crossover range.

Alright, thanks guys. M5, you have an 880 right? How do you have yours set up? Could it be possible (would it be practical) to run the signal from the 3 preamp outputs to tweeters, midrange, and midbass (allowing the HU to do all the processing at that point) and then rely on your amp for the crossover on the sub?

I use mine as a 2way+sub so it is easy.

Are you going to have amplifiers that will be flexible crossover wise?

Have you selected mounting locations and drivers yet?

After reading a few things here and there, I think I'm going to go with a 2way + sub setup as it's my first attempt at active. I will be using a 10" SSA Icon for my sub in a sealed enclosure. Depending on what Jacob comes out with by summer will determine what amp I will be using for the sub. I want to power the front stage with a 100.4. As far as drivers I have yet to determine what I want to run (As all I have run are a set of infinity coax's and infinity components. Both of which has rather harsh sounding highs.). SQ is the main concern with this system. I mainly listen to classic rock, and a little modern rock.

EDIT: I want to use the stock locations for my mid bass which is kinda low in the door panel. I think I'll use the old Velcro method for the tweeter mounting. What drivers would you suggest I look at?

Edited by abxx