07bluezx14

Thinking of a setup????

I am in the process of putting together a system for my crossfire. I went to a local car audio store today, and looked at a couple of things. A ported box for one 12, $80. 1 JL12w6, right under $400. And a JL HD750/1 amp $750. Do these prices seem right? I haven't looked at stero stuff lately. Anybody running this setup? What should I expect out of this setup? I am used to 2 hollywood 12's with green foam surround(circa 1995) and a bazooka 700w amp. It seems like alot of money, but I want to do it right the first time. I am looking at this setup due to space restrictions, and custom enclosures aren't in the budget right now. Thanks, chris

I think you would be happier going with a FI Q 12 in a sealed enclosure and a Sundown SAE 1000D. Should be a lot cheaper money wise and should sound better. Most of the install is box dependent so if you can have someone build you a sealed box or ported since you are saving money, it will sound a lot better than in a prefab box.

I agree with Brutal, shops prices are jaked because they need to make a profit. Buy online, and itll be cheaper. Second thing is JL is alot pricier than most companies out there. FI and Sundown are quality and affordable.

I can't agree with Fi being that much better of a choice, given no budget constraints. I'd rather have the JL.

Do you need to go with all new stuff, though? You could get a lightly used 12W6v2 and Slash series amp for much less than that online. Or a Sundown amp and a W6v2.

Are you stuck on JL? There are many other options, a bunch arent as pricey as JL and are equal or sometimes even better then there quality.

If that is your budget, I'd greatly change how you spend your money.

$1250 for a sub setup gives you a ton of options, but spending $80 on the fundamental portion that determines how it sounds is a bad idea. A custom box for $200-300 would be a much better way. I love the w6, but if you are into a ported setup I am not so sure that is the sub I'd recommend.

What are your goals? We should understand them before recommendations. On top of that, what other components/headunit etc do you have?

I have not ever had a ported box, they have all been sealed. I was under the impression that a sealed box would be tighter than a ported. I am really having to start all over. I am just limited by budget, and over all space. I would like to have 2 12's again, but realistically I would have to have two custom boxes, built into the sides of my hatch area. I am dealing with 36"x36" hatch compartment, and still need to be able to use it. The guy I talked to at the stero shop, went over several options. and while this seemed to be almost the most money with what we were looking at, I don't have many other places to go. of course the stuff at best buy is abused, and not in an ideal spot to accuratly hear what the speakers really sound like. I want something that is going to be clean and loud. to the point that if I choose to while parked, people standing outside feel their clothes moving. I have been close with past setups, but having a two seat vehicle, I have to keep space in mind. Going custom, with the enclosures, sounded intimidating, but for now he suggested the pre fab ported single 12. I am definately open to options. unfortunately,I don't know anybody that has a system, other than my neighbors, that drive me nuts with theirs, no respect for neighbors, and I live in a neighborhood full of duplexes, these guys just happen to be in the one attached to me. I would like to be able to let them know it with out confrontation. They like to pull their car in the garage, where they always hang out, and listen to it for hours. But back to the subject, I plan on switching out the head unit, and adding the sub, or two. componets will be last. I'm not sure wha the budget is unknown right now, so I have to do things in stages. I am also waiting to find out what is going to happen with a drunk guy that totaled my cobra, who had no insurance. So I'm definately still in the research stage. thanks for the input. I tried looking at the w6, and amp, online, and the prices are not alot cheaper, a little, but all said and done not justifiably cheaper even on ebay. But keep the replies coming, and thanks again, chris

I was under the impression that a sealed box would be tighter than a ported.

I bet cause the only ported boxes you have heard were prefabricated.

I just assumed that with a sealed box the sound would be tighter. And with a ported box louder, but not as tight. now It seems that if you have the right combination of power, and sub, ported can be better. I just want to make sure that if I drop that kind of money I will be satisfied, vs. say 2 alpine type R 10's from best buy. with an amp with equal power. I was told by the stero shop that with the 12w6, and the jl hd 750/1 was a very good match. should I wait an extra couple of months, and get a custom box? Thanks, chris