SpeakerBoy

Pioneer subs in my buddy's subaru

so yesterday, we were chillin, and my buddy spits out, hey i think, wait- i KNOW i want two type x's in my car, when i get the new trans. i said, should be good. now. this is the funny part. he went to walmart to see what they had, in terms of two temporary 12's(something ot listen to while he is fixing up the car) he picked up two pioneer's. only 150 rms each, and only being fed 100 each, they are easily as loud as my other friends two MTX 4500 12's off of 1000w. these pioneers are in a prefab, the MTX are in a custom. can anyone explain this to me? i know there are factors like the shape of the car, but jeez!

Because your buddy is using MTX! Don't be silly! But seriously, Pioneer has one of the loudest if not loudest vehicles in the world.

Because your buddy is using MTX! Don't be silly! But seriously, Pioneer has one of the loudest if not loudest vehicles in the world.

lol really? i though DD had the loudest? or is it just Alan and his team? 180.5dB sure is loud... but i am just comparing 200w to 1kw and i see no reason it should be louder. it just is :lol: update: put in a half farad cap, and some 4ga. the lights stopped dimming, and it definetly blows mtx to peices. maybe some vids when i find my camera charger....

lol really? i though DD had the loudest? or is it just Alan and his team? 180.5dB sure is loud... but i am just comparing 200w to 1kw and i see no reason it should be louder. it just is :lol: update: put in a half farad cap, and some 4ga. the lights stopped dimming, and it definetly blows mtx to peices. maybe some vids when i find my camera charger....

I can't remember if DD's score was official or not. What amps are they? The Pioneer and the MTX amp?

theres no need for 4ga if its just being powered by 100 watts.

also, you could make any set-up loud. maybe ur other friend with the MTXs didnt just want stupid loud.

i think i remember some guy that had two 6.5s in his car and he built the box for loudness. he had people thinking two 12s or 15s instead of weak little 6.5s.

I can't remember if DD's score was official or not. What amps are they? The Pioneer and the MTX amp?

mtx is a pyramid power 500x2 briged @ 2ohms for max output. and my guy's amp for the pioneers is a measly Jensen 100x2

mtx is a pyramid power 500x2 briged @ 2ohms for max output. and my guy's amp for the pioneers is a measly Jensen 100x2

There are a lot of things that can make the pioneers louder than the MTX's, most of that is install.

thats what i was sayin, but the pioneers are in a Best Buy prefab box. the mtx's are in a custom made beast of a box.

There are a lot of things that can make the pioneers louder than the MTX's, most of that is install.

people, this is wierd, but it looks like i installed something the right way!! not ghetto-rigged!!

Edited by DeepSubBoy

what is the custom box made for? and what was being played for testing of loudness?

arent most prefabbed boxes (ported) tuned for rap like around the 40s?

Edited by phi

thats what i was sayin, but the pioneers are in a Best Buy prefab box. the mtx's are in a custom made beast of a box.

That doesn't mean they are gonna be louder, maybe they are tuned really low for more low range and that most of that box is port. its kinda hard to tell over the internet.

custom is made for loudness, so is the prefab. i guess itcould be in the 40's. i was playing "C Me Ride" by trae to compare lousness. no test tones on hand, my bad.

That doesn't mean they are gonna be louder, maybe they are tuned really low for more low range and that most of that box is port. its kinda hard to tell over the internet.

the mtx's dont dig deep :(

How are the MTX's wired? they are SVC, so my bet is he had them wired pretty high. Parallel them.

How are the MTX's wired? they are SVC, so my bet is he had them wired pretty high. Parallel them.

i parallel evry speaker i can get my hands on. that base is covered :)

Edited by DeepSubBoy

So you paralleled the woofers together? And bridged the amp?

hmm, I am dubious that everything is setup correctly.

me too, but it looks like it is, we took it apart and put it back together twice yesterday.

So you paralleled the woofers together? And bridged the amp?

yes, and yes

me too, but it looks like it is, we took it apart and put it back together twice yesterday.

not at all what I meant. It is pointless to compare two setups equally if they don't have at least somewhat optimized enclosures. My guess is that the expensive custom enclosure wasn't at all designed right for one set of subs and the pre-fab luckily just happens to be setup near perfect for the others.

not at all what I meant. It is pointless to compare two setups equally if they don't have at least somewhat optimized enclosures. My guess is that the expensive custom enclosure wasn't at all designed right for one set of subs and the pre-fab luckily just happens to be setup near perfect for the others.

lucky us :lol: but you would highly doubt it would be suitable for two type x's right? (thats the end goal)

With arbitrary information you have given who knows. Doubtful, of course. Please actual spend some time measuring what you have and understanding it before asking questions on what to use.

With arbitrary information you have given who knows. Doubtful, of course. Please actual spend some time measuring what you have and understanding it before asking questions on what to use.

alright. :lol: instead of fightin you, i will take some advice *gasp* yes i said it, I AGREE WITH M5

thats what i was getting at. i guess m5 just has a better way with words than me.

Alright!!!!! this is like, huge!! we found two 3kw pioneers for $189 each. he wants them instead of the x's. we are gonna get them first, then an amp. the prefab box will be used til we have time to make a new one, or have one built for us. he wants to build it himself. any pointers?

What amp should be used to run these? he has a limit on the amp, $1000 and under.

Edited by DeepSubBoy