I'm asking for help on choosing an HU because i'm torn between these two.

I'm not to crazy about all the setting so i didn't go the 880 way.

Pioneer

i know about the micro fuse problem but that can be avoided by grounding it properly.

Alpine

don't know much about it.

does any one have experience with sat radio and i-pod on these two?

cuz im gonna be goin with a sat radio they seem like nice additions.

thank you

dan

the micro fuse problem cannot be avoided by grounding it properly. I'm so tired of hearing people say this. I installed one that immediately blew the fuse and i know how to properly ground a unit, there had been 3 units tied to that exact ground and they had zero problems, and this included the replacement 880 that i got after the noisy one and a pioneer 960. Also grounding the RCAs does not always fix the problem, it helped in my scenario, but didn't even come close to solving it.

now off my soap box. What do you want out of the radio?

thanks for the input man i'm kinda scared to go with pioneer now.

and sorry man thats just what i read on sum other forums, i decided to ask myself to find out more.

i need something that enough setting to mess around, nice eq, after this im gonna get an amp for the front stage and the sub stage.

i read that alpine has 3 preamp outputs so that would be perfect. also its cheaper.

im still leanin towards pioneer but i dont want the stupid whining problems

I wasn't insulting you, i just don't want other people thinking that it's install dependent and an installer or diy'er getting their ass chewed over it.

the big thing is crossovers and whether you're going to be going with an active frontstage or not.

What do you want out of it is a good place to start. If you just want something to plug in your RCA's to, you could save a lot of money going a different route.

LOL you didn't buy the 880 because of all the controls then stay away from the 9887 makes the 880 seem like cake imo. I'd look at the 9886 if i was u. Nice sound and easier to use. just my .02 cents i recently sold my 9887, need to update my sig. I used the iPOD constantly and i liked the way it worked versus some of the pioneers i've seen. I can't vouch for the iPod control on the 980 tho. Honestly i'd just say go alpine. have yet to have a bad experience with them.

id go with the alpine

i have a premier 590, and its messin up too much. ive had to fix my whine sound over and over, i finally got it to stop with the rca ground, but i can hear it faintly coming back.

I plan on gettin the alpine 9886 after i get some more money

I've installed several complete systems based around each of the 2 units. The Pioneer PICO fuse issue CAN be avoided with proper grounding, and making sure all of you RCAs are connected prior to plugging in the power harness. I've had ONE hiss on me, and that was in a mid-80s Corvette. The rest have had no issues. The Alpine is very clunky with any type of add-on, such as Sat radio, or Bluetooth. If you want satellite radio, or anything that's not built into the unit for that matter, stick to the Pioneer. Both radios have 3 sets of pre-outs, but the Alpine's are 4v, Pioneer's are 5v. The EQ in the Pioneer is better as well.

Edited by Ferendon