Sign in to follow this  
rex_runner

Want to build a wedge style box... slotport specs?

I know some of you would prefer to put a JL w6v2 in a sealed box... (I'd like to go that rout if I had two subs and a powerful enough amp to push them both), but since I just have a single sub and amp I want to build a ported box. I want to make the box wedge shape so I can get the most out of my trunk. I did design a box using a 4in round port, specs:

Sub is a single 12" JL audio w6v2

3/4" mdf box external lengths:

height= 14.75in

width= 26.0in

bottom depth= 13.5in

Top depth= 8.25 in

4in port, tuned to 32hz

Net volume, 1.5 cu. ft. Final internal volume after adding in sub and port displacement ~1.76 cuft.

I've been hearing from alot of people that I should make a slot port instead. I would have done this straight from the get go, but I've been having trouble figuring out a slotport to work with my wedge design. If any of you can help me figure out out that would be great! Then I can go back and alter to design to accomodate the port. Thanks much.

Well thank you for the reply. I have used a program like that before. The only problem I came up with is the fact that you can angle the same side as the port opening, but not the opposite side. On my design, the back is going to be angled, and the front where the port opening is will be straight up and down.

with respect to the thread starter, i have the same delema? wedge design slot port? anyone knows a prog that can slant the back side while the speaker and port in front on the vertical side?

with respect to the thread starter, i have the same delema? wedge design slot port? anyone knows a prog that can slant the back side while the speaker and port in front on the vertical side?

problem i see on the prog given is that whel a lon port would be used, and the angled side would be the one on the back, the sq inc space for the port increases since the slanted part has a greater length compared to the vertical side?

depending on where the wedge is going is an external port possible?

Otherwise i get something like this, and its not really a slot port

bj9w14.jpg

should end up around 1.5 @ 32

Dont think theres a better place to locate a square/slot port, and acoustically this spot may not be too great, but hey i tried