Sign in to follow this  
bose301s

Mag V4 finally shipping

Well, they are shipping and I do have mine. It sounds great, the output is less than I am used to, but still more than I need. Listening to songs the biggest difference I notice is how pointed and short some of the notes actually are compared to how long they seemed on my BMs. They sound much closer to my B&Ws in my room, just pin pricks of sound where it should be with no hangover. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a true SQ sub.

Now the caveats: If you are looking for a loud sub that can take more than 1000 watts this is not the sub for you. This is designed specifically for a 1 cubic foot sealed box, that is it. They are also designed to only take 1000 watts, not 1050, not 1500, not 2000, 1000 watts, anymore and you may ruin it. With that said it is an efficient sub and shouldn't need 1000 watts to get to full volume.

These need to be ordered on SI's site, www.stereointegrity.com

If you do order them from this review mention bose301s or Richard Hall in the where you heard about them part.

Glad to hear you like it. So if someone is looking for good output with a sealed application would you recommend it? Or would you only recommend a mag to someone who is strictly looking for sq?

Glad to hear you like it. So if someone is looking for good output with a sealed application would you recommend it? Or would you only recommend a mag to someone who is strictly looking for sq?

Don't get me wrong, it has enough output. You still feel the impact in your chest and it still causes vibrations in panels in my car and will shake stuff in cup holders, not a lot, but it does slightly. The big this is that it doesn't get extremely loud, and because it has extremely low distortion it is perceived as being quieter, but it is still plenty loud.

A little bit longer and more detailed review I wrote up:

Well, I finally have my new Mag installed and set to go.

The new Mag sounds great, definitely more punch to it than my BMs had. The drum hits on Pink Floyd's The Wall album are all clean, crisp and precise. Much more pointed that on the BM.

On Nine Inch Nails Discipline, the notes have an actual shape to them, there is a buildup and a decay, not just a thwack from the drum hit. Again, I can't say the BMs sounded bad as they destroy any other sub I have heard in SQ, but the Mag truly is that much better.

On rap this sub keeps up great and still gets plenty loud for me. It definitely has less output than my 2 BMs, but those were 2 ported subs versus 1 sealed sub, I 100% expected that.

Also, there seems to be fewer peaks and valleys through the frequency range with the Mag. I am not sure if this is due to it being a sealed box or because of the Mag itself, but it's a more linear frequency response than my BMs had.

I must note however that if you are at all looking for SPL, this is not the sub for you, it can get loud, but it is not an SPL sub at all. Also, it is designed to take a Maximum of 1000 watts, it does not need 1000 watts, 500 should do fine in most cases, especially since it is only a 3 dB difference, barely audible.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a very dynamic and listenable sub, this is it, but if you want SPL, find an old Mag V3 or an old BM, it will serve you better.