dlink

First System - Help w/ Selection/Rate Already purchased parts

Sean is right... as usual :P

I think are confusing the terms SQ and SPL with quality and volume respectively. While quality and SQ are related and volume and SPL are related they aren't the same. It is possible to have quality and volume in an SQ setup and its possible to have quality and volume in an SPL setup. SPL is usually geared to make your car as loud as possible at one frequency and SQ is geared to making your vehicle have the flattest response curve as possible (trying to recreate it as it was actually recorded).

I think that you would be happy with one 10" woofer on 300-500W sealed, but this is really speculation until we are completely clear about your goals :). Don't know too much about Yaris' but I think that .7-1 cuft. won't hurt your cargo much at all. I would really never recommend a shallow mount sub. There are plenty of subs just a little deeper that get the job done

I am going to go along with your two assumptions that I am confusing my terminology. My goals, in laymans terms, are:

Long story short:

I want a system that sounds good at all levels, and I want one that can sound good and be loud at the same time.

Long story long:

I want a system that sounds good for most all types of music, but primarily hard rock, rap, techno, and classical. By "good" I mean accurate sounds, I want the music to be complete, no missed instruments. I had a set of Aiwa headphones back in the day that let me hear parts of my music I didn't know existed. I want a complete system. I want highs, mids, AND bass. I don't need necessarily need bass that rattles houses, but I want my rap to sound like rap, and my Disturbed and Slipknot to sound mean too. This will be a daily drive car, so I want to be able to hear these nuances at any sound level.

Speaking of sound level, I also want the system to be able to get loud. Now I am not going to be in any competitions, but I want to be able to roll my windows down in the summer and cruise campus and piss people off, or at least let them know what I am listening to :) I don't care if the people in the buildings know, but the people on the sidewalk or in the car next to me should. I want to be the guy who has his car on when my friends and I go out and hang out in the parking lot after we see a movie or whatnot. This "extra volume" is what I was incorrectly calling spl.

as for a sub, look into the stereo integrity magnum 12, designed as a shallow 12" SQ sub, and doesn't need a ton of power to reach potential, recomended box is 1 cube sealed

possibly a FI SSD 10". it also doesn't need a big size box. it just needs .6 - 1.0 cubes.

and please don't do that whole pissing people off with your system thing. it makes car audio look bad.

Edited by phi

It was more of a joke then anything, hence my smiley :) The real desire is

to be the guy who has his car on when my friends and I go out and hang out in the parking lot after we see a movie or whatnot.

Although, I do want my car to be noticed. I'm trying to build a system I can be proud of, I want to show it off :)

That SSD 10 looks really nice, and not too hard on the wallet either.

Weird thing here. Fi's website says box size of .9-1.5 cuft ported. I went to RE Audios L-Port Box Calculator and input the specs into step 1 and it gave me an ideal volume of 34.071 ft.cu :P And yes, I convereted mm in in and cm^2 into inches^2

Edited by dlink

I want them to hear it. Not see it :) I drive a tiny car, so I think it would be fun to be sitting on campus next to some guy in a tweeked civic and next thing he knows he hears music and has no idea where from :P

:( :( :(

Not a good reason to put in a system and won't earn you a lot of respect here. It should be for you.

Also, if that is truly your desire you are going about this all wrong. You would need a large box and big subs for that purpose.

The true purpose is to get some great sounding music for my daily commute. The "get loud" aspect would just be a nice bonus. I don't see why you can't have both.

Edited by dlink

well the thing that is really conflicting is you dont want to take up alot of space in your car.

personally showing off a system to means

come sit down in my car and listen to the vocals, and listen to bass when the drummer does a jam session.

come sit down in my car and listen to the vocals, and listen to bass when the drummer does a jam session.

exactly!

I don't want to take up much space, but it is not a deal breaker. I am bidding on ebay for a 10w7, I like the looks of the Fi SSD. I am learning. I ask questions to gain knowledge and make better decisions. I don't ask to get answers I want to hear. I asked about my L4+XXX, found out that it wouldn't be the sound I was looking for, so I scratched it. I asked about a slim woofer, found out a regular would be better and not eat up a ton of space, and I am reading about quick disconnects on this board as well as on other sites, so it may be a non-issue. My misunderstanding of the definitions of SPL, etc.

I am learning and I really do appreciate everyones' help and patience with someone who is new to the game. I've learned more about car audio these past few months than I have computer programming theory (which is bad since that is my second major :P ) I've received more help from more people on this board in a week than I have for 2-3 weeks on other boards combined!

Edited by dlink

if you're listening, you may want to listen and avoid the W7. I really haven't heard anyone who i respect say they like it. You can do better for cheaper.

Well I max bid 250 on the w7 and all I have heard from it so far was pretty much all good things. Not attempting to call you out or anything like that at all, again, newbie, just saying what I have read. We will see if I am out-bid I guess :)

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showth...highlight=jl+w7

For example:

The w7 is IMO the pinnacle of car audio subwooferage. It's not the best value, however. If you search around, you can easily get into (2) great high excursion subs that will give you performance similar to the w7. I'd look into both the Shiva and Tempest-X from Exodus Audio and Creative Sounds for a BNIB driver. The classified section would be perfect for finding a good driver at a cheap price.

Granted there are statements there that speak poor of it, but most sounds like improper installation, etc. That is also the thread that sparked my interest in Fi (before it was mentioned in another of my numerous threads here)

As for the value statement, that is I why I went e-bay and max bid at 40% retail cost (from crutchfield)

Edited by dlink

it's not bad, it's just that you can get a lot more for the money. Most people prefer the W6 over the W7

Indeed, I'd much rather have the W6v2, given a choice between the two.

Well I was quite outbid (went for 305). I am really liking the Fi Q10 & Fi BL10

Edited by dlink

man it is impossible to find a Fi anywhere but their own site. They aer harder to find than HAT :P

Unless you get one used from someone off the net you wont find em

apparently :-/ well, on to amp. Most likely going w6 for sub

Edited by dlink

Send an e-mail to Nick from Fi on here, if interested in Fi

I might, I've just heard such great things about the w6, and not all that much at all on the Q, or any Fi for that matter

Edited by dlink

Search for reviews on the Q, it's an extremely capable driver.