Sign in to follow this  
06 Scion xB

Nightshade 12 box design question

Quite big for a Nightshade 12 - mechanical power handling will be decreased.

My Team Member, Derek Jackson, that won his class in MECA with two 12s pulling 152.0 dB used 1.5 cubes each.

yeah i had a much larger enclosure in my trunk car.. about 2.2cubes or so a piece and with turning at 34hz it was very stressfull on the surround.. lol.. overexcursion is the only way you will tear up anything of the woofer though.. trust me i tried.. :) but yeah my box at worlds was very very samall 1.5cubes per woofer with external aero ports.

well im assumming your putting it in a scion xb.. if your going to be tuning that lowi would suggest the smaller enclosure so you dont over excrude the woofer.. also if you looking for good numbers as well.. with one woofer probably get by with a single 4'' aero to keep it musical.. you could go with a single 6'' aero but it will be very peaky and more SPL oriented.

See I don't know what I need. If the one guy used a 1.5 cube box, then I will switch to a smaller box. And since yes it is going into a xB the loss of weight and gain of space will be greatly appreciated. I just want a great street bass box, that is more on the spl side of the spectrum. I wanna make a nasty bass box of an xb. Currently I am ok in sound and for me I want to see if I can get a little louder. So, if I switch to a nightshade and slam it with a sundown 1500. I should be good. So whatever, help I can get I am doing. I already learned about the Big 3. So I did, that this weekend. And I used to do local shows with my old cars. So I know that everylittle bit helps. So I am wanting to do everything I can to get louder.

If this is just for daily, do 1.5 cubes after displacment with one 4" aero that is 16" long. Do sub up or back and port to the side.

What about if I wanna do some competing next year? I would like to do a couple shows next year. So, I am willing to give up a little more clarity for a little for db's. Thank you in advance to everyone who is answering and helping.

if you want a fart box do it 1.5 cubes with a single 6'' aero the same legnth and sub up port firing to the side.. depending on what side it is louder on.. of course you usually want to meter in the side opposite the port.

Edited by SUNDOWN/FI BEATIN

That would be great for now. Then maybe next year I can run two 12" nightshades and two 1500's but for now I am going to be cool with one 1500 and a single 12. Especially if I get over 140.

What is the normal db range at a show for what I have and what class would I even be in, with what I have? I extra battery two runs of 4 guage big 3 done in 4 guage one 1500 sundown and a nightshade12?

For loud daily driving I have mine in 1.65 cubes after port displacement, driver displacement, triple baffle and bracing. It is a regular slot port/l-port tuned to 38 hz. This thing works like a charm.

The sub is on 2krms. Still plays low, sounds very responsive for a ported spl woofer. I can also still burp it with decent results in this box. With both shades in and maybe a bit more power im hoping for 150.

Hope this helps.

So I should have a decent street bass/ spl box with a single 4 inch aeroport tuned to 33-34hz and 1.5 cubes? Box will be made with 1" mdf and top plate 2". Sub up and port out the side.

Im assuming your doing this in a Scion. I would try a crx style box.... subs up port back.

For daily application do something along the lines of 1.5 tuned to 36. For SPL, try something like 1.7 tuned to low/mid 40s.

The 1" MDF will be nice, 2" baffle will be good as well.

my world title box is a single layer of 3/4'' mdf... wiht a single dowell rod brace in the middle...... also i dont think he has room for sub up port back in that car...and still have 5'' between port and teh hatch

Definitly not enough room for sub up port back, been there tried that. Gotta be a sub up port up slot port box or sub up port side box. So I should go 3/4 mdf with 1.5 mdf baffle brace and one 4" aeroport to the side or even a slot port box and tuned to 35hz to be in between what everyone writes? Correct?

do you think you could fit. sub up, port to the right or left side?

Edited by RobClay

definitly, currently I have a 2.75 cube box after sub and port. So, stepping down to a box that is basically half the size 1.5 cubes and port to side can be done. If not I will go with a slot port box with the sub and port up like now. And then I will have enough room for a larger battery in rear.

Sign in to follow this