Sign in to follow this  
Plutoman

Running some speakers... Need some advice.

Well, couple of problems. First one I'll address is the simple wiring issues.

I've got my amplifier, it's a 4 way amplifier, that puts out 115 RMS @ 8 ohms to each the left and the right. I'm running two Kenwood 6982IE 6x9 coaxials, rated for 90 RMS each, off the left side right now - speakers are 4 ohms. The right side doesn't work well, it gets fuzzy and frequently cuts out - separate problem I'll look into fixing later. Now, based off this left side alone, I'm wanting to run two infinity 6.5" coaxials in my front, each rated to 60 RMS. Each has a 2 ohm impedance.

Should I run these off the same channel here, and would that get me enough power? Or, alternatively - I can run these front two off the head unit. Which is listed at putting out 23 RMS (Alpine CDM 9803, fairly old, but good and reliable), but I'm not sure at the resistance for its output, or if its regulated. Or if I could possibly bridge that - I know its not recommended as it'll burn up newer HU's, but I've also heard older ones might be able to do this.

And I'm not looking for any ability to fade left/right/front/rear, I just want a clear balanced sound. How should I wire this here?

What amplifier is it? Assuming it's 2 ohm stable in stereo, you could wire your two rear speakers in parallel and hook them up to one channel, then run your two front speakers in series and wire them to the other channel. That's a very crazy way to do things, but.....it'll work.

Head units don't like to be bridged or run below 4 ohms per channel.

I've got to say I'm honestly not sure what it is stable at. It's an old home audio amplifier, tbh, rigged up with a DC inverter in my car. Pulls current like crazy, but it works, and I didn't have to spend extra money on a new amplifier. As I have just about no money to my name, but I have this, and plenty of wire. The amplifier hasn't gotten hot at all when used on these 6x9's, even though they're a four ohm impedance each, rigged into each channel of the left side. Doing the front in series and the back in parallel might be my best bet there.