Sign in to follow this  
QuestionMan

table saw kickback

Yes, i've used a table saw before, before anyone asks lol. But never for a box with mdf. The table saws i've used have always been pretty big, like shop table saws. I recently borrowed a 10" table saw from a buddy who builds boxes with it, but it's small as hell. It's really small, especially for the box i'm making (the biggest sides are 39.5"x21"). I even put tables on two sides, to help support the wood as it goes along the blade.

I used a circular saw to make the mdf as small as possible for the saw, cutting the 4x8 in (about) half. Everytime i take a piece across, it kicksback pretty bad. Now i know i'm not the first person to use a small table saw for a big project, and i'm not looking for a scolding from anyone. If anyone could help me out a little bit and tell me what they did in something like this, it'd help a lot.

Thanks for reading and (maybe :)) replying

I reinstalled the safety feature that prevented kickbacks after I caught a couple close to the family jewels. :Doh:

the blade could not be square with the guiding arm thing

as tmax said kickback is caused from either a dull blade not being able to cut the wood as fast as you are feeding it and from the board twisting. if the blade is sharp go slower and try to keep it straight although it is hard with a large board and small saw. i have better luck with a skil saw and t square. check the board for square first though i have got a lot of sheets out of square and by using a t square and skil saw your boards will end up out of square and not fit together correctly if you dont correct this.