KoolDrew

Box design for Sundown Audio E8

My girlfriend eventually wants a system in her vehicle. Nothing really loud or anything, just a bit more bass then stock and inexpensive. I showed her the E8 and she thought a small sub was "cute" and wants one. The small box would leave space in the trunk as well.

I plan on building the box for her, but I must be retarded. The recommendations for the box are 0.60 ft^3 tuned to 30 Hz ported. I've been messing around with the calculator on RE's site and can't figure out how I would tune it that low in such a small box. The only way I was able to do it is if I make the port only 0.5" wide, which sounds way too skinny for me.

Any help?

Just use an aero port stock length on the 2 inch will give you a tuneing very close to 30hz

Edited by loudcav

Build the box around 0.7 cuft gross internal and use a 2" Aeroport. This will give you tuning of around 32-33 Hz which will be fine. Just make sure one side of the box is around 14" to allow for the port.

The box could be built wide ported out the side. Something like 9"H x 5"D x 26.75"W.

Or tube style ported out the front or back. 9.5"H x 9.5"W x 13.5"D.

Of course there are other options if you want to build a slotted labyrinth but the Aeroport will keep things simple.

These are internal dimensions so you will need to add for the thickness of the wood. I would use 5/8" or 3/4" MDF.

With what I have found using the E8 for my boy, Build it between .8 and a cube internal volume. Tune it a bit higher like 40 hertz. Because of the transfer function in the car, you will get extension into the upper twenties. Plus the power requirements to get loud are reduced. This will also further shrink the port requirements. I like bigger ports because it reduces the chuffing sound. I would do a 3 inch port though the 2 will work.