Sign in to follow this  
c0smo kram3r

Main differences b/t a LV4XL and LV5?

Based on the specs, the whole motor is different and the coils handle more power. I'd say a completely different woofer.

Based on the specs, the whole motor is different and the coils handle more power. I'd say a completely different woofer.

I thought the Lv4XL had the Lv5 coils...

I thought the Lv4XL had the Lv5 coils...

from my understanding, there is a lv4, lv4 w/ lv5 coils, and a lv4 xl which is the best...?

I believe that the level 4 xl's have the level 5 coils standard in them. There is a level 4 coil as well, but is different from the level 5 coils which are used in the level 4xl's.

chime chime .... there are more factors that go into a subs power handeling then just the coil, if I put a LV5 coil in a LV2 does it now handle 2000 watts. everything is takin into consideration when rating subs. motor, coils suspention, cone surround.

From my short time with the lv4xl I'd say the 1500rms rating is VERY conservative. I even have it in a box much larger than recommended and it's wanting more than the saz1500 I have on it. I'd say if you have 1000-1500w get a lv4, 1500-2500 get a lv4xl or lv4 w/lv5 coils, 2500+ get a lv5.

The lvl 4 has optional lvl 5 coil and two layer suspension along with the lvl 4 motor.

the lvl 4 XL has a 3 layer suspension and lvl 5 coils standard with a larger motor than the XL but shy of lvl motor (just small enough to fit a 10" basket)

the lvl 5 has four layer suspension lvl 5 coil and a motor too large for the 10" basket (unless specially built of course)

as far as power handling you can get a lvl 4 to about 2700w clean before you have mechanical issues and we're giving XLs about 3200w all day and 4000w for bass race. I have not designed or beat on a lvl 5 yet :)

hope this clears it up a bit.

-Drew

Edited by Noobtastic14