TOOLMAKER

Door pods for my suburban....

Started on these around a week ago and decided to show my progress on here as well. I have posted these on http://www.fiberglassforums.com as well, where I have been doing alot of reading and picking up alot of great info. But this will be slow but constant as i don't get alot of time to work on them right now. So onto the pics...

1st getting the door ready to be cut..

PictureorVideo001.jpg

PictureorVideo007.jpg

now with the door cut..

PictureorVideo008.jpg

And some of the ribs ground off...

PictureorVideo010.jpg

made a template out of carboard for the shape and cut the base out of birch ply so I can mount it by screws from the back....

PictureorVideo011.jpg

Now trying to decide what location of the speakers I prefer, choice 1..

PictureorVideo014.jpg

Or choice 2, which is what I think I am going to go with..

PictureorVideo013.jpg

Still have to make rings and then mount them, make an insert to go near the end of the cut to help smooth out the transition, and glass the whole thing. And in the end, I think I am going to maybe SEM texture them to match the truck. So I will keep this updated as I get work done.

Started by laying out the rings to mount to mids.

PictureorVideo017.jpg

And after a little work we have them completed. Sorry but I didn't take any pics of me routing them out as it got pretty dusty in the shop. I think after I use up the last bit of mdf I have I'm going to switch to just using some good ply. Getting kind of tired of all the dust off the mdf.

PictureorVideo019.jpg

PictureorVideo020.jpg

PictureorVideo018.jpg

And here's a shot with the speaker and grill in one of the rings, not really centered up as I was holding it and trying to take a picture all at once..

PictureorVideo021.jpg

Now I have the tweeter rings to do and then mount the speakers in place and also sand the board and rings some. Getting close to be able to wrap it in anticipation of FG'ing. Just taking my time since this is really my first time doing it.

Any updates on this?

Bump

Any updates on this? Im very interested as I will be starting this very soon on mine. Not sure if I want to cut off the pocket though.