Bigpete123

Simple sub question

Guys,

I have a really dumb question that I'm a little embarrassed to ask. I'm in the planning phase of doing a sealed fiberglass sub enclosure for a friend. My personal sub setup is infinite baffle. I did one sealed enclosure like 5 years ago and have since forgotten the answer to this question.

When the sub manufacturer gives you the cubic footage for a sealed enclosure (in this case, .75 cu ft), does this INCLUDE or EXCLUDE the displacement of the sub itself? In other words, do I need to add to the .75 to allow for the space taken up by the magnet/etc, or do I simply make a box that has .75 cu ft of air space?

If the answer is that I have to add the displacement of the sub to the enclosure size, I'm a bit stuck. The owner's manual says nothing about the sub's displacement.

Sorry for the noob question. But I want to do this enclosure right.

Thx all.

Peter

You need to add the displacement to that figure. What sub is it? You don't need to be exact with the box volume. If you overcompensate for what the sub will take up and make it .8 cubes instead of .75 after displacement, it won't matter. You'll never be able to hear the difference. I'd say most 10's have about .1 cube displacement, 12's- .15. That's close enough.

cool thanks man. I don't remember the exact model number. I know it's an MB Quart 10" sub. I think it's the PWE 252. I'll have to ask my friend and get back to you.

Hi Pete, good to see you around. Hope the benz is doing good. :)