Sign in to follow this  
manbeer

Just recieved the DCON- Initial impressions

Well, the DCON 12 that i won in the giveaway arrived today. I immediately removed it from the package and examined it. Aside from the motor it is a spitting image of the Icon. Glue joints are flawless and just looking over it and holding it you can tell the build quality is top notch. I have pics i will post up when i do the build log

I actually spent yesterday rewiring the car and prepping things, so i was eager to put it in a temporary prefab box to start breaking it in. I finally got it in around 8 this evening and started to play around with it. New box build will be coming over the next week, it is currently in 1.25 cubes gross, sealed

I can already tell that this thing is a little beast. One person mentioned that they would put it up against a CVR, which i have also owned...i say even with 0 hours of break-in time and only 300 watts it is equivilent in output to the well broken in CVR i was running off of a BX1000d @ 1 ohm (probably 800ish watts)

In terms of transient response and lows it absolutely slaughters it. I got about 2 hours of listening time, and so far i am extremely impressed with it. It is just as loud as all the "comparable" mass-produced woofers with less power than i have used with any of them, and with new, stiff suspension. Even after 2 hours i am starting to nitce a small difference, and i can see that it still isn't approaching mechanical limits so i can't wait to hear more

One nice thing i have to add is that it loves rock! Most of the subs i have owned have been great for hip hop and things of that nature but this one is equally at home on all the rock albums i had on hand. The floor toms at the beginning of "Enter Sandman" were extremely punchy and lively, even more so than the Kappa Perfects i used to run which performed very well on rock

I have even more to say but i am going to wait for the real thread. This was just to let everyone know how happy i am with its out of the box performance since not to many people have had the chance to post and listening reviews yet

Good review!

Looking forward to your build.

Pics!!

Haha, ok i'll get a few up tomorrow. I left the camera out in the car

Good review!

You will be really happy with yours, i am shocked how well it performs out of the box and with low power. One thing i want to do is get a better amp to run it. The MTX 81000d i have it on really isn't "SQ" oriented, with a 2% THD @ rated power, lol. I am thinking of picking up a Zapco 500.1 to throw on it. I know the suspension is still stiff but with ~300ish from the MTX it doesn't seem to be anywhere near approaching mechanical limits.

This is my first time in a while running so little power and honestly there is no discernible loss in output over the RF T2 10" i had in there is a sealed box before. Now i know it has the advantage in cone area but the RF was an SPL oriented driver and it was getting probably 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. So, no dimming lights now, comparable output, and much better sound is a good deal imo

Pics!!

Good review!

You will be really happy with yours, i am shocked how well it performs out of the box and with low power. One thing i want to do is get a better amp to run it. The MTX 81000d i have it on really isn't "SQ" oriented, with a 2% THD @ rated power, lol. I am thinking of picking up a Zapco 500.1 to throw on it. I know the suspension is still stiff but with ~300ish from the MTX it doesn't seem to be anywhere near approaching mechanical limits.

This is my first time in a while running so little power and honestly there is no discernible loss in output over the RF T2 10" i had in there is a sealed box before. Now i know it has the advantage in cone area but the RF was an SPL oriented driver and it was getting probably 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. So, no dimming lights now, comparable output, and much better sound is a good deal imo

pics of that sweet car you have too :)

Pics!!

Good review!

pics of that sweet car you have too :)

She is still totally covered in road salt from the last snowstorm that hit us. You guys in AZ have it easy :)

I'm realizing more and more every day that i need a beater. My uncle has an old base model Dodge Stealth that i could probably get for dirt cheap. I was thinking about it cause a hatchback would be nice

Awesome news so far. :)

I'm about to go drop off/install a few of these big 3 kits i have been making for the G35 guys so this should give me a couple more hours of time on the road with some new CD's. I'm looking forward to it

Been a couple days and the sites been down for me. I have already got about 10+ hours on it and it keeps getting better. Working on a new box build for her at the end of the week and i will have a thorough review and plenty of photo documentation.

I am at a crossroads because i am giving her ~300 watts right now @ 8 ohms and defintely feel that she can take more but at 2 ohms i would be putting down WAY too much power. In fact, after an hour of hard play i pulled her out just to check on it was barely warm. I can tell that i am not yet approaching mech limits either. For the way i have this set up right now (very conservative) the output is VERY impressive in a sealed box

One guy who runs a 10w6 and 500/1 was amazed when he heard mine, said it was much better than his setup

I'm trying not to post TOO much here because it is kind of a teaser/predecessor to the upcoming"real" thread but i just have to say that after 10 hours or so this thing is really waking up. I've been putting as much time as i can possibly stand playing Young Jeezy on it and tonight it was noticeably different than when i first tried it. Plus after literally HOURS on end at 300wrms or so the sub and amp are both at room temp lol

I'm going to be looking into a suitable 500wrms AB amp for it in the very near future, perhaps a rubicon or reference 500

Wow, awesome!! Looking forward to your results, but loving these updates.

1st teaser photo. Car broke down yesterday and is at the dealer. I just removed the sub from the sealed box when it was being towed and will be working on a ported box this week

DSCF1182.jpg

Wow, that is seriously sweet looking!

That trunk went yesterday, i have something new in store for when the dealer fixes my car. Final specs 1.9 cubes after woofer/port displacement, 30hz, 36.5 square inches of port area

Any updates since?