Smanleyman

How to make/set crossover

So after much searching throughout the internet I still cannot figure out how to make a crossover. All I want to do is put a 12db/octave high pass on my 3.5" 2 ways at 500hz and a 12db/octave low pass on my 6.5 midbass at 500. All speakers are 4 ohm. I dont know if I need a capacitor and an inductor for each crossover or just one for each. Can someone please help explain how to do this or hook me up with some site links? Please and thank you in advance.

www.bcae1.com. on the right go to number 91.

Thanks man thats a really helpful site...

What do you think the best crossover frequency would be with 3.5 2-ways in the dash and 6.5 midbass in the doors? I have no experience with this and dont want it to sound too awful, I was thinking around 400 or 500hz but I also get the feeling thats too high.

what speakers are they? That sounds fine to me. the 3.5s won't play much midbass anyways, they just don't have the displacement to be heard.

You don't want to cross them both at the same frequency.

Why not replace the 3.5's in the dash with just a tweet and run a 2way instead. It will sound WAY better.

Well M5, Im set on the equipment, especially since I custom installed the 3.5's at the bottom of my pillars... So Im stuck with those but I figure the extra 3.5 will just give a little fuller sound. What are good crossovers and slopes to get a balanced sound?

If there's any extra info you need please let me know.

Edited by fiq15pwnsnoobs

Running a 3 way+ doesn't leave you many choices.

Clarion DRZ9255, Alpine H701, Pioneer P9 Combo, Ural CDD, Behringer 2496. Then you will need an amp channel for each speaker. Get ready to spend some serious money.