Sign in to follow this  
SouthPole1989

connectioning second battery

ok, im starting to upgrade my eletrical before i start doing my system. and i may add a second battery. ( i can fit a powermaster 3100d underhood :D) and if add it. i was wondering if instead of running the positve and the negitave wire directly to each battery if i could run them to distribution blocks instead and go from the distribution blocks to the amps. i already have a 1/0 ground run and a 1/0 postive run. and i will get 1 sax100.2 @ 3 ohms. 1 sax 125.2 at 4 ohm. and a either a saz or sae1000d. so roughly 1500 rms total. but my truck only has a stock 90 amp alt. and i doing big 3 is 2/0 guage wire. ( it's welding wire)

OK if you do this, you must follow this-

You must place a fuse block right next to each battery OR use a FUSED distribution block and have the block no further than 12" from each battery.

This method would probably only work with a stock alternator.

Pulling current and pushing charging current through the same block will definitely test the limits of the fuses.

I'd still advise to only use fuses that match the amps used. Do not add additional fusing strength to compensate for the alternator.

duh. i would fuse them. and ok i was going to do it like this because i didnt have enough length of a run to go directly to each battery. i will just use fuse holders to connect the lengths then ( i have alot of extra fuse holders) or something like that. and then go from the second battery to the amps.

and since i cant edit my first post. if all i have is a powermaster 3100d for the starting battery. would that not be enough with a 90 amp alt and big 3 done? im not trying to cheap out. i just trying to get in some figures on how much everything willl cost.

Edited by SouthPole1989

duh. i would fuse them. and ok i was going to do it like this because i didnt have enough length of a run to go directly to each battery. i will just use fuse holders to connect the lengths then ( i have alot of extra fuse holders) or something like that. and then go from the second battery to the amps.

and since i cant edit my first post. if all i have is a powermaster 3100d for the starting battery. would that not be enough with a 90 amp alt and big 3 done? im not trying to cheap out. i just trying to get in some figures on how much everything willl cost.

why not upgade ur alt to like 200amper, do the big three, put the largest battery up front and keep you runs of zero to the back and add distos if necessary

i think that would hold you off as far as electrical.. 90amps is a relativly small alternator and in my op should be upgrade before an extra battery