Spencerk

Nothin like the smell of coil in the mornin!!

Hey guys first time post, but def. not new to the car audio thing. This is the first time I have used FI products and I was wondering if it is normal to smell just a little coil when the sub in new (mine has only like 1 week of use on it). Im pushing it with a Elemental Designs Nine.1 its underrated at 1200wrms @ 12.5 vdc no clipped signal I checked with the o scope at college im gettin a good clean 7.3 volts from the preouts. I want to push about 1500wrms to it but im gun shy with the coil thing...can she take more or should I just get one more to feed my 30htz @ 140db addiction??

sounds like extra glue being burned off.. sounds normal.

ohhh sry its a FI bl 15 fully loaded

She will take it thermally ;)

If you got all the options there shouldn't be any problem with using that amp on it setting it with a scope.

Edit: What head unit do you have getting 7.3Vs and how exactly are you setting the gains?

Edited by bromo

Oh no no, I had my professor use a tone generator on the amp with an imput of 7.2 because the the amp has a max input of 8 volts. I just wanted to keep E.d. honest with their power claims. Even when we subed in the tone generator as the head unit still I got the damn coil smell. My HU is a pioneer DEH-P800PRS thats got 5 volt pre outs. when I FIRST got the sub in the car I just did it by ear turn up the hu 75% and the back it of.... (you get the Idea) then after couple days just redid it with a Fluke 87V DMM and a fluke amp clamp just got it within 50watts +/- of 1300watts sooooo.... yeah All I really want to know is if its guna be ok then screw it ill crank it and have no mercy on the thing,

Ahhh I see. It should be fine. Fair warning I wouldn't go higher then volume 50 on the 800PRS, I believe my 880PRS started clipping at 51 last time I had it on a scope.