Sign in to follow this  
jimmytboi

Speaker + Subwoofer Sugestions Please

Hi all,

I am looking for any information possible regarding a setup for my vw golf. I am looking to replace front indoor speakers and add some new ones to the rear doors (if suggested of course). I am also looking for a subwoofer to place in a box in the boot, one or two depending again on suggestions. I have no real experience with them in any way so any information is really appreciated. I have no experience of what amplifiers would be needed either or how to wire a system up.

The music i am aiming my setup at will be mainly rock and metal but could quite easily include most genres, i am going for a quality of sound rather than something just to make a thud or loud noise. I am looking at hundreds rather than thousands in terms of cash. If i need to provide any more information, please let me know.

Thanks up front for any replies,

Jamie

Hi all,

I am looking for any information possible regarding a setup for my vw golf. I am looking to replace front indoor speakers and add some new ones to the rear doors (if suggested of course). I am also looking for a subwoofer to place in a box in the boot, one or two depending again on suggestions. I have no real experience with them in any way so any information is really appreciated. I have no experience of what amplifiers would be needed either or how to wire a system up.

The music i am aiming my setup at will be mainly rock and metal but could quite easily include most genres, i am going for a quality of sound rather than something just to make a thud or loud noise. I am looking at hundreds rather than thousands in terms of cash. If i need to provide any more information, please let me know.

Thanks up front for any replies,

Jamie

First we need to know what size speakers are in your door also do u have a factory tweeter location??

For the sub we need to know if u are going ported or sealed and how much space u have to work with??

I would recommend sealed if u build the box youself.

As for rearfill i personally dont like but that is my opinion..

Also are u going to be running a stock electrical system??

Also what is your total budget??

Edited by sqjeep

The speakers currently in the doors are 16.25cm (as shown in picture) and the tweaters are located at the front end of the door above the door panel (as shown in picture).

The dimensions of the boot are about 1000mm width x 700mm depth x 450mm height as a maximum area (could maybe allow a little extra on the 700mm if needed.

As for ported or sealed, as i said i'm not experienced with whats best but am led to believe for a better quality of sound it would be sealed rather than ported.

Is there a reason for rearfill being disliked?

Whether i use a stock electrical system will be down to suggestions as i am not best clued up on this.

Total budget would be flexible really, although im trying to keep it within hundreds rather than thousands. im open to the suggestions on budget though really so.

Image of speaker position:

DSC00554.jpg

Image of tweater position:

DSC00553.jpg

Any more info let me know,

Jamie

alrite peeps, i have been trying to get my cuz sorted with a basic aim for a system!

we was wondering if you can get a 100.4 and bridge chnls 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 to give 2 channels at 320 watts to power two AA assasins?

+ VW golf mk 4

I have an old head unit Mutant MT1105USB, however i am looking to change this possibly as its a little worse for wear :)

For a subwoofer i would go Fi cause I have a SSD 12 with copper coils a feeding it about 1000 watts in a sealed box and it sounds awesome.

or u could go here and get a free box with the purchase of one or more of the subs he has to offer...

audibel customs

Edited by sqjeep

alrite peeps, i have been trying to get my cuz sorted with a basic aim for a system!

we was wondering if you can get a 100.4 and bridge chnls 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 to give 2 channels at 320 watts to power two AA assasins?

+ VW golf mk 4

Yes u can but on the amp u need to know what ohm it would be bridged at. once u know that then u could get the sub that would match the impedance.

also to keep the cost down u could always do used and get way better stuff.

Like i know the guys over on DIY have some really good stuff for decent prices and u come across stuff new in box aswell

I might check out the Fi stuff pretty soon, i have been eyeing up 2 of the Ascendant Audio Assassin 250w 10" @ http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ascendant-...sin-p-6707.html and fitting it in a sealed box. Along side this i was looking at the sundown SAX 100.4, bridge 1+2 and 3+4 to give 320w at 4ohms per output.

Would you think that 2x 250w would give me enough in terms of sq and loudness and what sort of ratio should your subs power be in relation to your total component power?

I have also briefly been looking at the Pioneer FH-P80BT head unit to replace my old mutant unit. I will post that up in the head unit section to ask for comments on that at some point.

Edited by jimmytboi

the sub u have listed wont work the way you want it too. A dual 4 ohm subs final ohm load to an amp can only be a 2 ohm by running the coils in parallel and 8 ohms by running the coils in series. but if u run each coil to each channel it would work but it would only be 200 watts to each sub. so if thats the amp u want to use u would need 2 single voice coils at 4 ohms or 2 dual voice coils and 2 ohms. Also yes 500 watts with 20ins of cone would be loud. from what i know there isnt any ratio between the sub and front, but i could be wrong..

Edited by sqjeep