Sign in to follow this  
mrray13

crossover design..

ok..i've used the caluclators and figured out what the values are..but i have no idea on what to buy to achieve those values..

what i'm building..

a third order 18db octave @ 4ohm low pass passive x-over. the values for which are..

7.9mH coil

441uF capacitor

2.65mH coil

so, what do i need to achieve these values (other then the obvious..duh)

i went to PE, and listed some stuff, but evidently it's incorrect. yeah, i'm being a touch lazy, but i need somone to list the part numbers and where they got them. i'd also like an explaination as to how they achieved those values (not the ones above, i'm still reading the12volt.com on that) but how they achieved getting the values i need.

thanks ahead of time!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

ok, i think i got this figured out

you can combine these 40uF and this 400uF caps for a 440uF capacitance

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...tnumber=027-442

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=027-376

here is a 8mH inductor

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=255-290

you can combine these 2mH and 0.65 mH coils for a 2.65mH inductance

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=255-266

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=255-236

and then some kind of bread board or something to hold the pieces in place

if these look good, i'll draw up a little diagram of how they go together

wow, that stuff aint cheap

not buying a single unit, nope

Nowhere will be much cheaper when you are just buying singular.

BTW, I am sure you know this, but might as well state it. To add capacitance, wire in series. To add inductance, wire in parallel.

BTW, I am sure you know this, but might as well state it. To add capacitance, wire in series. To add inductance, wire in parallel.

are you sure that's correct?

i thought that resistances and inductances followed the same rules and capacitances followed the opposite

so to add resistances/iductances you wire in series, and to add capacitances you wire in parallel

ok, with a board, that's about $55 or so...

would i be better off just buying a ready to run unit?

i thought these things could be bought/built for like $10??

and thanks tom for looking that up...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

ok, with a board, that's about $55 or so...

would i be better off just buying a ready to run unit?

and thanks tom for looking that up...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

screw the board, just use a piece of cardboard lol

just those 5 things is $33.15 + shipping

no problemo Kent

are you sure that's correct?

i thought that resistances and inductances followed the same rules and capacitances followed the opposite

so to add resistances/iductances you wire in series, and to add capacitances you wire in parallel

Ya, I'm mixed up. Damn studying making me stupider :coffee:

Loose the breadboard - you don't need one. Just hot glue or zip tie the components to a piece of cardboard. If you want to go fancy, try some plexiglass or something :lol:

Components are really, really cheap ... you just can't purchase them as a single unit without paying out the ass I guess.

Loose the breadboard - you don't need one. Just hot glue or zip tie the components to a piece of cardboard. If you want to go fancy, try some plexiglass or something :lol:

Components are really, really cheap ... you just can't purchase them as a single unit without paying out the ass I guess.

which sucks...

i might just go ahead and purchase a ready to run one instead..

any help there fellows??

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I wouldn't suggest cardboard. You want something sturdy. Make sure everything is secured as well. Things can easily break if placed in or near the enclosure where there will be vibration. Also, the nature of the coils could very well cause them to buzz when the electrons are flowing. Been there, done that. I use plexi and small guage copper wire for traces, but stay away from flimsy mounting materials. And use a lot of glue.

10001852ga.jpg

Second order tweeter network. It weighs a good 6lbs. and is 4"x8.5". Depending on the quality you are looking for, try to stick with inductors with the lowest DCR possible.

I wouldn't suggest cardboard.  You want something sturdy.  Make sure everything is secured as well.  Things can easily break if placed in or near the enclosure where there will be vibration.  Also, the nature of the coils could very well cause them to buzz when the electrons are flowing.  Been there, done that.  I use plexi and small guage copper wire for traces, but stay away from flimsy mounting materials.  And use a lot of glue.

10001852ga.jpg 

Second order tweeter network.  It weighs a good 6lbs. and is 4"x8.5".  Depending on the quality you are looking for, try to stick with inductors with the lowest DCR possible.

that looks really nice Ryan

but remember, this is for a Funky Pup, i dont think things will be vibrating that much

if not cardboard, you could use a piece of 1/4" wood or something, just something to keep the components in place

Ryan, where'd you order the components from ?

The inductors from PE. The caps came from Apex Jr.

http://www.apexjr.com

That's a really neat site with some awesome deals every now and then. I suggest you guys bookmark it.

thanks guys..but i really think this is something i'm just going to buy..i mean, it's just about as cheap and i don't have to do any work...lol...

does apex have completed crossovers? any other sites, other then PE, that would carry x-overs??

thanks again fellows..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

actually, after looking at spexjr's site..i might just buy the one cv plate amp for the pup..lol..but it said it was 220VAC..blah..

i might get the apex jr amp..it's only $90 and it puts out 130wrms at 4ohm...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: