TermN8er

Need help selecting amp

Hi all,

After many weeks of research and reading reviews, I've decided to go with Diamond Audio components. My choices are Diamond Hex S600s fronts, Diamond D661 raw mids for rear fill and a single Diamond 10 or 12 inch sub, don't know which one yet, depends on amp and that's where you all come in.

For the amp, I'm thinking either 1 - the new Diamond D6600.4 to feed the front 75 watts per side and run the rear speakers off the x-over's RAF connection and bridging the amp's rear two channels which will give me 300 watts for the sub. Or 2 - the JL Audio 500/5 to give the fronts 100 watts a side, the rears 25 watts each and the sub 275 watts, or 3 - a 2 channel amp at 150 watts per side for the front using the x-over RAF and a separate mono amp for sub.

Which amp or setup in your expert opinions do you think is the better way to go? I want SQ and need to know which is better suited to fit the bill.

Head unit will be the Kenwood DDX-7015 and I'm after SQ. I want a high end sound that will really knock my socks off if you know what I mean.

All suggestions/opinions welcome...especially those who have first hand experience with Diamond Hex.

Thanks.

A TRUE SQ install will be just that. about 98% install. You'll find that the actual components will have little to do with it. SQ titles have been won with the likes of Pyramid, Pyle, LEgacy, and even factory drivers. All your equipment choices so far are excellent so I say pick the one that is going to do just what you need it to and no more. Then concentrate on really getting the most out of the install.

A TRUE SQ install will be just that.  about 98% install.  You'll find that the actual components will have little to do with it.  SQ titles have been won with the likes of Pyramid, Pyle, LEgacy, and even factory drivers.  All your equipment choices so far are excellent so I say pick the one that is going to do just what you need it to and no more.  Then concentrate on really getting the most out of the install.

I'm really not getting into this for competition nor do I have any desire to do so in the future. Maybe what I need to know is if I would limit the capabilities of the Hex components by feeding them only 75 watts as opposed to 150 watts. Is 75 watts sufficient enough for these speakers?

Thank you.

75 watts should be enough for any drivers for anything other than sub duty.

can I ask why you selected all diamond?

75 watts should be enough for any drivers for anything other than sub duty.

Just what I needed to hear. You just made my selection process a lot easier.

ryan is one of our resident pros :D

can I ask why you selected all diamond?

I've been reading reviews and searching in forums such as this one to find out what speakers in this price range fared really well with users.

They all had their advantages and disadvantages, but, what steered me towards the Hex comps was that quite a few users compared them to Focal Utopias. Now I know the Utopias are probably a much better speaker, but at half the price, I don't think I can go wrong with the Hex. I read stuff like, "The best cheap speaker" or "For the monies, you really can't beat them" and "I just listened to Diamond Hex and WOW!"...things like that.

Another factor was their shallow mounting depth making them less work to put them in the door panels and the fact that they also come with silk tweeters which I would assume are not as bright, forward or metallic sounding as maybe alluminum.

I'm actually taking my chances with what others had to say about them. Since I work for the Department of Defense, stationed in Europe, I really don't have the luxury of going to a local car audio shop to listen to these bad boys. I'm sure they have them somewhere here in the Netherlands or perhaps a shop in Germany, but I still haven't been able to find one that carries them.

My other choices were Dynaudio, Image Dynamics, Boston, and MB Quart.

I liek my MB Quarts, but some people don't like the price or the high highs they produce,

but the few Bostons I have heard in the last couple of years have all had a sound I enjoyed, but since your in a different situation you do not have the luxury to check out multiple products at once

i like the diamonds..everything i've heard that was diamond sounded good..

i'd suggest u'd look into the memphis belle amps...

they are made by memphis and come in two sizes...

here's the big belle

here's the lil belle

both are awesome full system amps..

here's the spec sheet on both

i think either one would be a sweet choice for powering ur system!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

If you are in Europe, I suggest going with Rainbow. Should be an easy find over there and I personally guarantee even their lowest line will outperform the Diamonds. Well given the correct application. Can you tell I like Rainbow?

And Denim, thanks for the kind words, but I'm far from even an amatuer.

Oh, and the Memphis amps, VER good pieces for about half the price of the Diamonds. Not as impressive asthetically IMO, but they are stunning in their own right.

Oh, and the Memphis amps, VER good pieces for about half the price of the Diamonds.  Not as impressive asthetically IMO, but they are stunning in their own right.

yeah, the last models looked better....

but these are growing on me...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The Black chrome is UBER sexy. It would go so well with anything.

there is always the new MB Quart amps, but the pricing is still kinda steep

If you are in Europe, I suggest going with Rainbow.

Thanks for the tip on Rainbow. I'll do a local search on them.

By the way, is that the name of the company or the model?

Maybe I can use them up front since I already placed an order on ebay for the Hex speakers...from Dimension Audio. I hope they come through and don't stiff me.

This is the most helpful forum I've been in. You guys rock! :slayer:

Rainbow is the name of the company, the few components I have heard from them have been unreal

I just found their site and the headquarters is in a city called Bad Rappenau which is about 4 hours driving from where I'm at. I'll start looking in the Dutch and German sites to find out who carries those bad boys.

By the way, I read a while back that old school Diamond use to be assembled in Germany...any truth to that? Also, I noticed slight similarities between diamond and some of the rainbow models, hmmmm! They do look like serious contenders though and I'm definately going to check them out. I'll give you guys an update on my ventures.

Thanks.