Sign in to follow this  
tech2332

Single Cab Port

I recently got a great custom box by Audibel Customs for free but I was thinking about building my own fiberglass/mdf enclosure. The only reason I went with Audibel Customs was for the free enclosure if not I would have gotten the Mach5 IXL's. But the Custom box Quentin built is great and hits hard. I just need more space.

What I plan on doing is making everthing mdf except for the base/feet of the box. The reason is because my truck has a lot of bumps/curves on the bottom behind the seats and I can gain some airspace in order to do 2 SSA Icon 10's in the future once money comes. I have learned/researched alot of other build logs on fiberglassing and think I have the capacity to do it over the course of the next few weeks in summer.

I also want to tune pretty high like around 37-39 hz. It's just a personal choice, if I dont like it I will adjust. My big question is, How should I face the port? I'm thinking facing it upwards to get louder. Also, I was thinking of doing a round port but would slotted port save any space?

Off-Topic:

BTW, Tomorrow I'm getting 22" Rims for my truck!!! I will post pics in the Show-Off sec.

I've faced up and to the sides in a reg cab...I liked up the best in my ranger. As for slotted or round saving space it depends. A slot port will require a longer port length but will take up less mounting surface area. For example: let's say you plan on using 2 cubes for your dual 10'' icon box. A reasonable port area would be 28sq-in. You can achieve that in many different ways, lets say you go with 4'' x 7''. This will let the top depth of your box be only 5.5'' (4'' of port that is 7'' wide + your .75'' mdf in front and back of that 4'' port). But if you were to use aeroports you would need a minimum of one 4'' aeroport which needs something like 7.25'' of surface area to mount to so your box would be a minimum of 7.25'' deep at the top. I hope that helps a little bit.

a minimum of 7.25'' deep at the top

Thanks you helped a lot, I just got one question. When you say this quote do you mean the height need to be taller than 7.25".

a minimum of 7.25'' deep at the top

Thanks you helped a lot, I just got one question. When you say this quote do you mean the height need to be taller than 7.25".

No, I meant the top depth of your box. Here's what I mean:

I don't remember the exact dimensions but

This box was about 5'' deep at the top and 10'' deep at the bottom with a 4'' aeroport firing to the side. The 4'' aeroport has a 7.25'' outside diameter and wouldn't fit firing up in this box.

100_1943.jpg

This box was like 8'' deep at the top and has two 3'' aeroports firing up. 3'' aeroports have a 6.25'' outside diameter or somewhere around there.

lv4xlintruck.jpg

Oh ok. I got it now. That's only with aero ports though right. I'm assuming regular pvc ports wouldn't need a large depth since they dont have the large diameter. I'll either go with a pvc port or more likely a slot port.

Thanks alot for your help. Really appreciate it. :fing34:

Edited by tech2332

Oh ok. I got it now. That's only with aero ports though right. I'm assuming regular pvc ports wouldn't need a large depth since they dont have the large diameter. I'll either go with a pvc port or more likely a slot port.

The benefit of aeroports is that they reduce port noise by alot which allows you to get away with running a smaller port. If you can fit a slot port I would definitely go with that.

Since you included fiberglass in your box description, here's a picture of my enclosure. It's made to go behind the seats of a regular cab Dodge 1500. I can't remember the outside box dimensions, but it can mount up to 11.25" deep. It's around 2.5 cubes after all displacements, has a 6" aero port tuned to 34 hz. And I can still fold up my center console when I need that center seat. If you have any other questions about the box don't be afraid to ask. And btw, it shakes everything in my truck apart and it's very loud. Of course with using a 6" aero, the only way to face it was to the side.

P2050788.jpg

Edited by Miles

Since you included fiberglass in your box description, here's a picture of my enclosure. It's made to go behind the seats of a regular cab Dodge 1500. I can't remember the outside box dimensions, but it can mount up to 11.25" deep. It's around 2.5 cubes after all displacements, has a 6" aero port tuned to 34 hz. And I can still fold up my center console when I need that center seat. If you have any other questions about the box don't be afraid to ask. And btw, it shakes everything in my truck apart and it's very loud. Of course with using a 6" aero, the only way to face it was to the side.

P2050788.jpg

That's definitely one of my favorite reg cab setups of all time.