LazyFcuk

Gain Help

So everything for my system shall be arriving very soon and I am already to hook it up. I am running a 18" BL with a sundown 1500, now my question is how do i properly break in the subs. I know consistent volume etc. the question I have is what my gain shall be set to. I know what clipping is and everything but as it being a new sub how am I supposed to know what to set it to. After I set it is it supposed to be changed to go along with the break in. As far as my HU goes I have a Alpine cde-102, cheap i know but it will do the trick. The HU has features such as sub woofer control which is 0-15, and many other things, the other question is for that is what I should be setting all those things to.

Ok just spent like an hour reading about it but i still am a little confused. What test tone should i be using?

Also as far as how many volts to use as my number. I know in the tutorial if the sub rms is lower than the amp you use that. so the sqrt of 1000 is around 31.6 but thats using 1000 watts to the sub, now I heard they can handle more so should i rate the sub power as higher?

Edited by LazyFcuk

Ok just spent like an hour reading about it but i still am a little confused. What test tone should i be using?

Also as far as how many volts to use as my number. I know in the tutorial if the sub rms is lower than the amp you use that. so the sqrt of 1000 is around 31.6 but thats using 1000 watts to the sub, now I heard they can handle more so should i rate the sub power as higher?

the sub can take more than 1000w but it depends on what options you got on the sub.

the sub can take more than 1000w but it depends on what options you got on the sub.

its fully loaded with cooling and flatwind

ok well it can take 1500w and be fine.

it can take more then that if your easy with the gains but use 1500w as your rms jus to be safe.

it can take more then that if your easy with the gains but use 1500w as your rms jus to be safe.

what do you mean it can take more then that if you are easy with the gains. It is rather hard to be easy with them if you set them at a certain level...

To the OP, I wouldn't exceed Fi's recommendations. If you are asking you are ready to.

what do you mean it can take more then that if you are easy with the gains. It is rather hard to be easy with them if you set them at a certain level...

To the OP, I wouldn't exceed Fi's recommendations. If you are asking you are ready to.

he said he heard that the Fi subs can take more than 1000w.

i was only letting him know what they can handle and telling him that it would be fine on 1500w because it can take more.

i wasnt telling HIM to be easy with the gains.

hes not pushin more then 1500w anyway and i said that it could take more then 1500 if your easy with the gains.

can anyone just explain to me what i should be doing to set my gain, i know that the gain max should be at 3/4 volume and never exceed that. So i take 1500 then square it which is 38.7. so i use my multi meter and useing a 50hz test tone i adjust the gain up until it hits 38.7 volts.

can anyone just explain to me what i should be doing to set my gain, i know that the gain max should be at 3/4 volume and never exceed that. So i take 1500 then square it which is 38.7. so i use my multi meter and useing a 50hz test tone i adjust the gain up until it hits 38.7 volts.

Unhook your subs from your amp. Turn your volume knob to where you want it and turn your REMOTE gain knob ALL THE WAY UP. Start playing the 50Hz test tone in a loop while increasing your gain on the amplifier. Once you hit 38.7 volts, stop. Plug your subs in. Don't touch your gain knob again. Never turn your HU up past the point where you set your gain at. You will blow your subwoofer.

Unhook your subs from your amp. Turn your volume knob to where you want it and turn your REMOTE gain knob ALL THE WAY UP. Start playing the 50Hz test tone in a loop while increasing your gain on the amplifier. Once you hit 38.7 volts, stop. Plug your subs in. Don't touch your gain knob again. Never turn your HU up past the point where you set your gain at. You will blow your subwoofer.

perfect so using 50hz is the best? Now should the bl fully loaded be able to handle the 1500watts?

So my box being tuned to 32hz has nothing to do with the tone chosen from the cd.

Edited by LazyFcuk

perfect so using 50hz is the best? Now should the bl fully loaded be able to handle the 1500watts?

So my box being tuned to 32hz has nothing to do with the tone chosen from the cd.

it can handle the 1500d. thats what i have on my sub.

the box has nothing to do with it. so do what he said and you'll be set. :)

as in?

well you have gain, subsonic, lpf, bass boost, and phase on ur amp.

you know how to set your gain right now.

set your subsonic 2-3 hz below wat ur box is tuned at.

lpf between 60-80hz

i dont use bass boost and its not recommended but if you use it dont turn it up that much and make sure you have it where you want it when you set ur gain.

leave phase on 0.

you know how to set your gain right now.

set your subsonic 2-3 hz below wat ur box is tuned at.

lpf between 60-80hz

i dont use bass boost and its not recommended but if you use it dont turn it up that much and make sure you have it where you want it when you set ur gain.

leave phase on 0.

and let me get this straight the "bass boost" knob which can be mounted by your set actually controls the gain. so id the knob is on full it will act act like where we set the max gain to be at 38.7volts. but at low knob boost then the gain will be lower?

yep.

it lets you control the gain from where you set it on the amp.

so if the bass knob is all the way up then its gona be at 38.7 after you set ur gain.

awsome thanks for all your help i cant wait to get this in, do you recomend me getting big 3 right away or can i wait another pay check?

awsome thanks for all your help i cant wait to get this in, do you recomend me getting big 3 right away or can i wait another pay check?

you dont have to right away but ur volts are probably gona drop pretty bad.

it wouldnt hurt to wait for ur next paycheck but if you can do it now i would.