pumpkin431

Advice For System

Ok, so i currently own a vw mk5 gti, and it has a rather small trunk space to say the least i plan on a small 12" sub.

This is the trunk space i have to work with. (Picture is not my trunk)

42110d1178651124-2006-mkv-vw-rabbit-2-5-work-log-1.jpg

A friend of mine had a few 18" BTL's in his truck, big fan of steve meade. He says he would recommend nothing but Fi Audio for subwoofers. So im going to take his advice and go with that. I also will be using that for daily sound not SPL. He suggested the BTL 12" , unfortunately i dont know much about them, and he isnt around enough to be a big help. I realistically dont need the 2000 watts atm, but it would be nice to have that option for later, but someone i know said its not good for me to put a smaller amp to it and make it run at a lower watt than it can handle, any info on that?

What amp would you all suggest, along with any other products needed to get this installed. I will be doing most of this my self along with the help of a friend.

Ok, so i currently own a vw mk5 gti, and it has a rather small trunk space to say the least i plan on a small 12" sub.

This is the trunk space i have to work with. (Picture is not my trunk)

42110d1178651124-2006-mkv-vw-rabbit-2-5-work-log-1.jpg

A friend of mine had a few 18" BTL's in his truck, big fan of steve meade. He says he would recommend nothing but Fi Audio for subwoofers. So im going to take his advice and go with that. I also will be using that for daily sound not SPL. He suggested the BTL 12" , unfortunately i dont know much about them, and he isnt around enough to be a big help. I realistically dont need the 2000 watts atm, but it would be nice to have that option for later, but someone i know said its not good for me to put a smaller amp to it and make it run at a lower watt than it can handle, any info on that?

What amp would you all suggest, along with any other products needed to get this installed. I will be doing most of this my self along with the help of a friend.

First off What is your budget??

Are u doing anything with the front stage??

There is absolutely nothing wrong with undering powering the subwoofer. With that being said u have to be careful the amps gains so u dont send the sub a clipped signal. Clipped signal = good bye sub

Ultimately, no more than 1k when its all said and done. I know the 12 BTl is right around 350. What do you mean front stage? The rest of the car? For now, its just a sub

Ultimately, no more than 1k when its all said and done. I know the 12 BTl is right around 350. What do you mean front stage? The rest of the car? For now, its just a sub

As in front stage im talking about the front speakers. ( doors and tweets)?

If your running 1k why not just get a 12" BL. He is talking about front speakers, to actually hear the music, because in that small of a car your going to need some better speakers then stock. Otherwise you probably won't be able to hear what they are saying in the song and what not.

If your running 1k why not just get a 12" BL. He is talking about front speakers, to actually hear the music, because in that small of a car your going to need some better speakers then stock. Otherwise you probably won't be able to hear what they are saying in the song and what not.

The 1k is his budget

The 12" BTL's are like $360 before the options.

The 1k is his budget

Oh jesus I totally missed that lol, damn running today makes me loopy.

So, after spending some time on youtube and speakin to a guy over the phone from a shop, I dont think i need anything more than a Fi SSD 10" , in the smallest box possible. Which is nice, cuz at a 169, i may be able to save a lil and do some "front stage" stuff down the road

So, after spending some time on youtube and speakin to a guy over the phone from a shop, I dont think i need anything more than a Fi SSD 10" , in the smallest box possible. Which is nice, cuz at a 169, i may be able to save a lil and do some "front stage" stuff down the road

I was going to chime in and say you DO NOT need a BTL. What is your musical preference?

From the way you talk, I would suggest a SSD, or a Q. Have you thought about a pair of Dcon's from SSA audio? A pair of sealed 10's would be great.

But before I get a head of myself, what is your musical preferences?

I listen to everything, and thats why he suggest i do a sealed box with a 10" SSD... that way it wont fuck with my rock music, but still bump for the rap/r&b

I listen to everything, and thats why he suggest i do a sealed box with a 10" SSD... that way it wont fuck with my rock music, but still bump for the rap/r&b

you can get any of the subs and theyll be good with any music.

Just to be clear, you are going to lose a TON of output going sealed. I do like sealed enclosures, but if you want to bump, this is the wrong enclosure for you.

Just to be clear, you are going to lose a TON of output going sealed. I do like sealed enclosures, but if you want to bump, this is the wrong enclosure for you.

really? the thing is that i use my hatch a LOT, so making the enclosure bigger is going to take up more space, what kind of dimensions you think i would have to have for a ported versus a sealed

i agree with him. really you need to tell us if you want it loud or do you want SQ or what.

then we can tell you what you should get.

really? the thing is that i use my hatch a LOT, so making the enclosure bigger is going to take up more space, what kind of dimensions you think i would have to have for a ported versus a sealed

There is no sure fire answer. I'd figure on doubling the size from sealed to ported. Have you thought about using 2 drivers in a sealed enclosure?

I would either get an SSA icon or the FI Q both great subs and with these u can get loud and also stay on the SQ side. For The Fi all u need is 1.2 cuft of space which is the same saize as the 12 sealed

Ok, thanks for the advice guys, im gonna take a look at some enclosures over the next couple of days, then get back with you all and see what u have to say :drink40:

So, i worked out the design for a sealed box. Probably going to being construction on it soon.

Also decided to move up to the Q at the advice of people from several forums since im going with a sealed box.

In terms of amplifiers, found a Sony xplod 1000 watt amp for $99 at walmart, now i know thats not the best brand, but think it'll do the job ?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4541643

Sealed is more accurate though, so if you are going for SQ sealed is the way to go.

Mike

**oops didnt see page 2..

Edited by Deton Nation

So, i worked out the design for a sealed box. Probably going to being construction on it soon.

Also decided to move up to the Q at the advice of people from several forums since im going with a sealed box.

In terms of amplifiers, found a Sony xplod 1000 watt amp for $99 at walmart, now i know thats not the best brand, but think it'll do the job ?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4541643

What are u looking to spend on an amp??

If you have to go cheap with your amp at least go with something other then sony like for example,

Kenwood KAC-9104D

1800W Max, Class D Monoblock Amplifier

Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier