Sign in to follow this  
ingramk03

Question about SAE-1200D

This might be a dumb question but I'll go ahead and ask. I was tuning my 1200d for the first itme this morning and before I could reach the 35v suggested voltage with the DMM, the amp started making a faint popping, buzzing sound. My target volume is 21/35 and the noise appeared at about 13/35. The noise went away as I turned it down. I'm running 1/0 gauge from front to db block and a run of 4 ga for 5' to the amp. BTW, no db gain was used and the remote gain was at 1/2 with susbsonic set a 28hz a x-over set at 1/2 as stated in manual. Anyone experience this before?

Try unhooking the speaker to make sure it is from the amp (if the speaker is hooked up).

No speaker has ever been hooked up to it, just DMM. My Fi's won't be in until later today. I'm trying to get it tuned before they arrive.

If it is a high frequency squeal that may actually quit once a load is connected. If it does not let me know.

It's not a squeal, it's more of a cracking or popping sound, sort of like a bad connection popping, but real faint sounding. I'll go look everything over again but I'm confident everything is right. BTW, I'm using a 50Hz tone and the DMM is connected to the outside terminals.

Ok, after turning it on again without the DMM the noise is a constant buzz (very very faint) as I turn volume up the buzz or hum starts to crackle, but it does not go away even at no volume (the crackle goes away as volume is decreased) .

In that case the amplifier may have experienced damage in transit - you should return it for exchange.

I think the problem was solved....I was tuning with engine off and my Optima got drained, amp wasn't getting enough voltage obviously. This amp sure is power hungry.

Where did you get the test tone from? Also you said you were setting up the amp with no sub connected, how do you know were to set the gain. I obviously have not done this before. I just purchased the same amp so I wanna do this right the first time.

Your amp should have came with an instruction sheet if you got it from the e-bay auctions.

Hey Jacob since I'm using a Navone N774 and my input is close to 10V, with the amp gain all the way down I was still above the recommended 35V. I had to turn the remote gain down about half to raise the gain on the amp any. Now that it's set with the amp gain at 1/8 and the remote gain at 1/2, I can still turn the remote gain up as long as I don't exceed the orignal volume I tuned at with, correct?

The remote gain is a "gain reducer" right, since you can't exceed the gain you set on the amp with the remote gain even at max. When I first set eveything up, the amp gain was at 0, the remote gain was at max and my volume was at 21/35, I was getting a voltage of somewhere around 45V on my DMM. I decided to set the remote gain to 1/2 as use that as a benchmark and do my adjustments on the amp, which I got to 1/8 of a turn for 35V. Now, since I never exceed or get close to 21/35 for volume, if I wanted to turn the remote gain up to max at a volume of, let's say 10/35 to wake the neighbors, it should be ok, right?

Sign in to follow this