Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

new subs for the fall

How much will the subs break my wallet for and do you think 6.416ft^3 @ 30Hz with a Sundown SAZ-2000 would be a good combination for your subwoofers?

How much will the subs break my wallet for and do you think 6.416ft^3 @ 30Hz with a Sundown SAZ-2000 would be a good combination for your subwoofers?

with a 2k amp i would get a set of LV4s instead of the LV3s

I was planning on getting three to direct swap with my kicker cvx's, so they will be wired at 1.34 ohms. I dont want to get level 4's and underpower them.

bump, level 3's or 4's for direct swap in 6.4FT^3 @ 30 Hz wired at 1.34 ohms on a saz-2000d

bump, level 3's or 4's for direct swap in 6.4FT^3 @ 30 Hz wired at 1.34 ohms on a saz-2000d

What are the dimensions of that port? Looks kinda small for over 6 cubes.

The box is 35" W x 14.5" H x 27" D and the port is 2" W x 13" H x 7.25" L, which equals to 6.416 ft^3 @ 30 Hz. Maybe it just a picture that doesnt even come close to the true size of what it does look like, i thought you had a suggestion. I do know how to build and measure boxes at the least. thanks for your concern

The box is 35" W x 14.5" H x 27" D and the port is 2" W x 13" H x 7.25" L, which equals to 6.416 ft^3 @ 30 Hz. Maybe it just a picture that doesnt even come close to the true size of what it does look like, i thought you had a suggestion. I do know how to build and measure boxes at the least. thanks for your concern

Well it's just that you are only using 1/3 or 1/4 of the port area that most companies recommend. And I've used DC lv4s and lv4xls so I like where your headed with the sub choice.

Here's what I mean with the port area:

Your port is 13'' x 2'' which equals 26 square inches of port. Most companies recommend 12-16 square inches of port PER CUBE. So since you have 6.4 cubes you should use a minimum of 77 sq in of port (6.4 x 12).

If I were you I would get a new box built for 2-12s and go with 2 lv4s on the 2000d.

Edited by KHARPS

I do have a quick question, why do most companies reccommend that much port area, the box that I have sounds lovely and has no port noise; whats the advantages of this conception?

Well I do appreciate ya and the info, since I have created a new box design for 2-12" using 3/4" mdf.

(Outside) 33"W x 14"H x 27"D = 7.21875 ft^3

(Inside) 31.5"W x 12.5"H x 25.5"D = 5.8106 ft^3 after port and subs around 4.8- 4.9 ft^3 @ 30Hz

(Port) 5.25"W x 12.5"H x 24.51"L (W x H= 65.63in^2)

Isn't the port to long for the box, their is only 1" of room between the port walls and the back wall of the enclosure?

Any advice or desings would help, I want both twelves on top of box and port on in the front in middle or in the front on one of the sides if their is a better design.

Edited by jay-cee

you most likely arent hearing port noise because the box is inside the trunk. building a box that is closer to the manufacturers specs will allow the sub to sound much better. a bigger port would give those subs more room to breathe. i look at an install as 80% box and 20% product. getting new subs may help a little, but you'll see much more improvement with a new box.

just an example...the box for my 18's is 8 cubes net (4 cubes each), with 130 sq inches of port.

Edited by Basshead

you most likely arent hearing port noise because the box is inside the trunk. building a box that is closer to the manufacturers specs will allow the sub to sound much better. a bigger port would give those subs more room to breathe. i look at an install as 80% box and 20% product. getting new subs may help a little, but you'll see much more improvement with a new box.

just an example...the box for my 18's is 8 cubes net (4 cubes each), with 130 sq inches of port.

Well how does my new box design sound for 2-12''s and if you can improve or help me with the design, I would appreciate at. Im already planning on selling the subs so I need to configure a new box while doing it.

that box does look better. 65sq in of port, and the recommended port area ranges from 55 to 73 sq inches. the tuning i got was different tho. i get a tuning of 33.3 hz. you could extend the port a little to lower it some more if you wanted, as the physical port length does not need to actually be 25.5" with it bending in the back (and yes, you want it at least 5.25" from the back of the box). the physical length of the port only needs to be 20.25" for a tuning of 33.3 hz.

also the volume of the box is 5.81 cubes gross volume, and 4.58 after all displacement. so your general calculations were a bit off. you're heading in the right direction tho :)

that box does look better. 65sq in of port, and the recommended port area ranges from 55 to 73 sq inches. the tuning i got was different tho. i get a tuning of 33.3 hz. you could extend the port a little to lower it some more if you wanted, as the physical port length does not need to actually be 25.5" with it bending in the back (and yes, you want it at least 5.25" from the back of the box). the physical length of the port only needs to be 20.25" for a tuning of 33.3 hz.

also the volume of the box is 5.81 cubes gross volume, and 4.58 after all displacement. so your general calculations were a bit off. you're heading in the right direction tho :)

The max space I have available is what my first box was @ 35"W x 14.5"H x 27"D (outside dimensions), anything that size or smaller @ 30Hz would be perfect (could you help me create a box for two 12" subwoofers. thanks man and enjoy the 4th

why is that you can only get to around 31-33Hz with certain volumes. the only way I can make the tuning get lower is to narrow the port in^2 to lower than what the manufactures say to make them between, which you guys say isnt healty.

I downloaded your box tuning calculator and it works wonders.

it's just the way the equation works out for the tuning. if you've ever seen it, it's pretty complicated and jumbled up. i'll work on somethin for ya. probably get to it tomorrow. i'm about to leave here for the night and i'm off tomorrow so i have plenty of time.

oh and thanks :) did you download the last link to the program on the second page? that's the most up to date version. i cant edit my original posts yet (i guess cuz of lack of post count) so i cant keep updating the first post

it's just the way the equation works out for the tuning. if you've ever seen it, it's pretty complicated and jumbled up. i'll work on somethin for ya. probably get to it tomorrow. i'm about to leave here for the night and i'm off tomorrow so i have plenty of time.

oh and thanks :) did you download the last link to the program on the second page? that's the most up to date version. i cant edit my original posts yet (i guess cuz of lack of post count) so i cant keep updating the first post

I finally figured out how to work it, thanks again.

well I designed a box thats:

(Outside) 35"W x 14.25"H x 27"D

(Inside) 33.5"W x 12.75"H x 25.5"D

(Port) 4.8"W x 12.75"H x 19"L = 61.20in^2/ Port Area Range = 61-82in^2

Net Air Space after Port and Sub Displacement(.21ft^3 based off 15"BTL): 5.11ft^3 @ 31.85 Hz

I did some searching throw the threads under DC Sound Lab and have been reading that the Level 5's will take way more power than 2000 RMS. I will have a Sundown Saz-2000D when they ship out and was wondering with those specs what 15" would be better for me Level 4, Level 4XL or Level 5.