Sign in to follow this  
shadowslayer666

box design for 2 12" 187's

I took some dimensions of my trunk and figured out some dimensions for a box that would be roughly 5.2 cubes when done, not including displacement from woofers, or port. I just have some questions about the actual port.

Does the port volume also contribute to the overall volume of the box?

Is it better to have a wider port or a taller port, assuming im using a slot port?

The specs on the forum say i should have 20 to 30 inches of port, but if i make the port 2" by 15" tuned to 32hz it says i only need a total of 11", so how should i make the port?

The dimensions that i have figured out for the box are 30 x 15 x 25 (width x height x depth) for a total of 5.2 cubes, excluding the port area so far.

Another quick question do i need double the port length because im going to have 2 subs, or does it not matter.

Thanks for any help. I want to get the box right the first time around

If the enclosurewill be 15" tall the port will be 13.5 inches tall. You will want to make the port three inches wide and make the port 21 inches long to port to 32 hertz. this will give you roughly 4 cubic feet after displacement.

im making the port 3.5 inches wide and about 18 inches long. If i made the port 21 inches long there would be a very narrow opening into the port of about 1 or 2. This way there will still be 4 inches around the port opening.