Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

need thermal protection for engine

Lately in Dallas, TX we have been having 100-108 degree days this past two weeks and I notice that my car stays hot and attracts heat since it is all black. The car is a 2003 Saturn Ion and the hood is 56" x 36" so after doing some research I can up with some better understanding of how I wanna go about this process.

I plan on buying two sheets of Heat Wave Pro or Motor Mat Pro(which one would be better?) and just use the extra heat wave for the top of my reat deck in my car to keep a little less heat from that area since my amps will be mounted under their which probably wont help but oh well.

I see that it recommends that I lay Damplifier Pro to the hood first and then spray the adhesive on the back of the Damplifer pro and then lay the heat wave pro down, so i plan on laying damplifier pro on my four doors, hood, trunk and rear deck area for now. The whole trunk lid, panels and frames have been sealed with expandable foam last week and was a great success so i wan to finish up this deadening. I decided to start out with 36.50 sq feet of damplifier pro and then go from their, i know it wont be enough but it will give me an idea of how much more ill need dont plan on doing the whole vehicle since the cabin already has .5" padding under the floor from pedals to rear under the back seats.

Is their anything else that I need to know, all opinions and help is needed. thankx

Edited by jay-cee

Lately in Dallas, TX we have been having 100-108 degree days this past two weeks and I notice that my car stays hot and attracts heat since it is all black. The car is a 2003 Saturn Ion and the hood is 56" x 36" so after doing some research I can up with some better understanding of how I wanna go about this process.

I plan on buying two sheets of Heat Wave Pro or Motor Mat Pro(which one would be better?) and just use the extra heat wave for the top of my reat deck in my car to keep a little less heat from that area since my amps will be mounted under their which probably wont help but oh well.

I see that it recommends that I lay Damplifier Pro to the hood first and then spray the adhesive on the back of the Damplifer pro and then lay the heat wave pro down, so i plan on laying damplifier pro on my four doors, hood, trunk and rear deck area for now. The whole trunk lid, panels and frames have been sealed with expandable foam last week and was a great success so i wan to finish up this deadening. I decided to start out with 36.50 sq feet of damplifier pro and then go from their, i know it wont be enough but it will give me an idea of how much more ill need dont plan on doing the whole vehicle since the cabin already has .5" padding under the floor from pedals to rear under the back seats.

Is their anything else that I need to know, all opinions and help is needed. thankx

Down here in Miami, were seeing about the same type of temps(with 90% humidity) that your seeing around your way. Post your results on how well that Heat Wave works because I got a dark navy blue car and while probably not as bad as your car, it still attracts a hell of a lot of heat. This is something I might definitely be interested in. I hate getting in the car and not being able to breath. :blink:

Down here in Miami, were seeing about the same type of temps(with 90% humidity) that your seeing around your way. Post your results on how well that Heat Wave works because I got a dark navy blue car and while probably not as bad as your car, it still attracts a hell of a lot of heat. This is something I might definitely be interested in. I hate getting in the car and not being able to breath. :blink:

Oh yeah I understand about that Florida heat just left Tallahassee in February after beind down their at school a little over 5 years and had this problem their too. Yeah Im probably going to go with the Motor Mat Pro, but Im waiting for someone from Second Skin to give me a response on the best way to go about this process so I can hurry up and get it done while the temperatures are still hot so I can compare the results and see if it was effective or not.

Ever get anywhere with this jay??? Kinda wanted to do the same for my hood...

Naw man I never tried it and doubt I will, having too many problems with my current car and really didnt have a bad problem this summer like I did last summer. I guess I chalk that up to redoing my big 3 and the rest of the wiring in my system, once I got a new crimping tool I replaced all my previously poorly crimped wires.

It may be useful dont get me wrong but the engine is gonna get hot regardless so its not to much I can do, those voltage drops are just due to engine heating up from normal opertaion more than the ambient temperature outside (even though it does play a role on the 100 degree days).