dsm2nrs1

15" FI BTL's Rookie question's..... Help appreciated!&

Quick little background.....

I'm 19 and own a '05 4runner. I started with (3) 10" mtx's and thought that was the sh*t! Soon I learned about JL,RE,RF etc.. Soon after learning about these brands and their reputation I ordered a 13w7, but soon after purchasing that sub I was introduced to FI Audio. After watching many video's of FI making many customers satisfied I decied to ditch my W7 and order a pair of 15" BTL's.

I know some what about car audio, but nearly nothing compared to some people I've seen on these fourms.

Soon I will be ordering a pair of 15" BTL's, but I'm not totally sure what options I should pick for the subwoofer? I would be using the subs as a daily setup in a custom ported box @ 30-35 HZ . I would Prefer to run them to nearly their full potenial , but also being safe to not ruin them. (In other words getting the right juice out of them)

1) What would be the most efficient way to run the whole setup? box,power,amp

2) What is the max, but safe rms that I can run them @? ( I saw that they run the 12" BTL at 3k)

3) What is the best/cheapest amp setup I can go with to fully power them? (Or reccommended amps)

Please feel free to give me idea's,recommendations etc

Also I have a Brand New JL 13w7 still in the box with reciepts that I've never used that I would like to trade or sell if anyones interested...

Thanks ,

Mike p

if you are wanting to run them at top power or whatever you want to get all the options. get dual 2 ohm VC and wire them in parallel to 1 ohm (per sub) to 2 sundown audio saz 2000D, watch your gains so you dont damage the subs. use 1/0 wire, do the big three.. get a new alt. and a couple batteries...and follow their recomended enclosure dimentions and you should be good :)

im pretty 100% sure you cant post about trading/selling until you have 25 posts, might want to take that out of the OP.

As far as box goes i would tune to 35 Hz, and i know you seen a few vids etc but i hope u know u will need 1/0 ga wire, big three done in 1/0 ga wire. u will need a front batt and a back batt . i would look in to Powermaster for your batts. If u can stay over12.8 u should be good as far as voltage goes if u cant then u will need a Ho alt 200+amp.For a daily set up i would send 1500 to each sub but if u are ready to buy a Ho alt and a few batts then i would send a soild 2000 watts to each sub all day. oh yea u will need to deaden your ride u will need to brace your ride. I know u see the videos on youtube and it looks cool but man it takes a lot of money to get everything right. for your own good dont think your stock alt and one batt will b ok cuz it wont b ok lol. good luck and have fun.

Edited by 1mtx1

a good amp thats for those sub thats on pre-order at a great price is the Sundown saz-4500D fing05.gif

H/O Alternator: 20Amps or better

Battereies: XS Power D3100 (2)

Big Three Upgrade 1/0 Gauge or bigger

Front to Back Battery Bank: Multiple Runs 1/0 Gauge or bigger (2/0, 3/0 or 4/0 gauge)

7-10ft^3 @ 30-35Hz after displacement (12-16in^2/cube of port area)

Sub Options: Dual 1 ohms (1 ohm load when wired together), Daily, Cooling, HiXmCoil and whatever color dustcap you want.

Edited by jay-cee

Thanks alot guys for the quick replys! So 2k rms each would be the most I could run the subs being safe? The only reason I ask agian Is because Ive seen so many 12" BTL's at 3k. And yes I would be willing to redo my whole electrical system for some good o'l bass fing05.gif How much is the sundown 4500d btw? And thanks for warning me about the forsale stuff watt09, but how do I edit that previous post?

Edited by Mike-P

at the moment they are $1100, hurry up and buy!

That's 4500rms at what volts and ohm? I mean I saw the chart were it kind of explains the watts, but how do you keep the ohm from rising? I mean the 4500d at 1ohm and a max drop of 14.6v would roughly make how much rms? Is there anyway of keeping the volts stable by upgrading the alt + batteries? Where can I order it?

Edited by Mike-P

The amount of power you can give those subs changes depending on the size of the box. Also, make sure that these set-ups that you have seen are not just for comps but for musical set-up if thats what you're going for.

As far as the sundown amp goes it puts out its rated power at 12.8 volts. So if you can keep your volts above that then u will see more power. i have a sundown 1200d and if i can stay above 13.00 volts this amp can put out over 1400 watts at one ohm. u can look in to audio q for your amp if u want u can get to 2200ds . i think there 379 shipped each.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps2200D.htm

the rise in resistance is a natural occurance in every system, heat causes resistance in all electrical. you shouldnt really worry about it while shopping for an amp, just get an amp that CAN put out a little more than what you need for some headroom. but just because you have the power doesnt mean you should use it, this is just to prevent bad signal to your sub(s). here is a link to the 4500, which i would recomend over my previous recomendation of the 2 2000D. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SAZ%252d4500D-Pre%252dorder.html

the amount of power that a sub can see for a 30 second burp is much different than the amount of power they can see daily driven, so watch out on what you see other people do.

alt + batteries = less voltage drop, yes :)

Thanks alot guys! I'm starting to understand all this now. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the 4500d. btw here is the guy that i was talking about thats running his 12" btl sub at 3k.