Sign in to follow this  

i read a topic with a guy saying he's running an amp at .5ohms for spl and @ 1 for daily. He was running a sundown 3000 amp.Im trying to decide between 2 dual 2ohms or 2 dual 1ohm speakers. I have a hifonics colossus that's 1600 X 2 rms at 1ohm or 3200 rms bridged @ 2ohms. Will my amp run @ .5 for a short spl burst or go into protection mode. or should i just gt the dual 2s? would it be better to run it at 1ohm each channel daily or bridged @ 2ohms?

Thank you

Edited by supaduppaman

i read a topic with a guy saying he's running an amp at .5ohms for spl and @ 1 for daily. He was running a sundown 3000 amp.Im trying to decide between 2 dual 2ohms or 2 dual 1ohm speakers. I have a hifonics colossus that's 1600 X 2 rms at 1ohm or 3200 rms bridged @ 2ohms. Will my amp run @ .5 for a short spl burst or go into protection mode. or should i just gt the dual 2s? would it be better to run it at 1ohm each channel daily or bridged @ 2ohms?

Thank you

Either way it wont matter since you will be giving both speakers the same power either way, usually it would matter if you run them at 1 ohm or 2 ohms (since a lower ohm load = equals lower power and less strain on the vehicles voltage) but in this case you will be bridging at its ohm load stability also so I think it will be an even call. It just boils down to personal preference.

Edited by jay-cee

I thought a lower ohm load would make more power and put more strain on the voltage because of the more current draw.

Thank you

Either way it wont matter since you will be giving both speakers the same power either way, usually it would matter if you run them at 1 ohm or 2 ohms (since a lower ohm load = equals lower power and less strain on the vehicles voltage) but in this case you will be bridging at its ohm load stability also so I think it will be an even call. It just boils down to personal preference.

Sorry jay-cee your incorrect. :shrug: lower ohm load = a higher strain on your electrical system. you loose efficiency as the ohm load goes down there fore your amplifier requires more amperage.

Its solely dependent on the amp if you can run it at .5ohms some can some cant. In my opinion i wouldn't run an amp below rated specs unless your aware of the the harm you can do and willing to live with the out come. For a daily situation you'll be far better off at 1ohm and that would be the best advice i can give you.

Edited by MemphisMzd

Some amps you can gain quite a bit running them at .5 ohms, but NOT the SAZ-3000D, it is much more efficient at 1 ohm and the gain from going down to .5 is extremely small and greately decreases the amps life.

Thank you

Sorry jay-cee your incorrect. :shrug: lower ohm load = a higher strain on your electrical system. you loose efficiency as the ohm load goes down there fore your amplifier requires more amperage.

Its solely dependent on the amp if you can run it at .5ohms some can some cant. In my opinion i wouldn't run an amp below rated specs unless your aware of the the harm you can do and willing to live with the out come. For a daily situation you'll be far better off at 1ohm and that would be the best advice i can give you.

I meant either way he wired the subs up 1600 x 2 @ 1ohm or 3200 x 1 @ 1ohm it would be the same, I didnt even answer the question about wiring it for .5 ohm load, I only did that too one amp (memphis power reference 1000.1 just to see how long it would last for and it did for almost a year) and I didnt even know thats how I let a local shop do it awhile back. Vowed to never let them do my work again, but I would never recommend anybody to run a amp below its ohm stability unless you wanna kill your amp eventually and cause a lot of strain on your electrical.

Thank you

I meant either way he wired the subs up 1600 x 2 @ 1ohm or 3200 x 1 @ 1ohm it would be the same, I didnt even answer the question about wiring it for .5 ohm load, I only did that too one amp (memphis power reference 1000.1 just to see how long it would last for and it did for almost a year) and I didnt even know thats how I let a local shop do it awhile back. Vowed to never let them do my work again, but I would never recommend anybody to run a amp below its ohm stability unless you wanna kill your amp eventually and cause a lot of strain on your electrical.

That amp is a two channel amp. It can handle 1600 X 2 @ 1ohm, 3200 X 1 @ 2 ohms but not 3200 X 1 @ 1 ohm.

Thank you

That amp is a two channel amp. It can handle 1600 X 2 @ 1ohm, 3200 X 1 @ 2 ohms but not 3200 X 1 @ 1 ohm.

your absolutely right, I even read that post three times over before I posted it and couldnt see a mistake since they took my words wrong in the one before it, but yeah thats what I meant.

Thank you

I apologize guys, im planning on 2 dc soundlab lvl 4xl 15's. I just figured that running them at 2ohms would be less of a strain.